Conforto Will Face Overhanded Throws In Cage Tuesday

Mets outfielder Michael Conforto is expected to advance to facing overhand throwing in the cage Tuesday, according to Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News.

Slowly but surely for Conforto, who is targeting a return date of around May 1.

Original report – March 4, 11:30 a.m.

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Mets are quietly thinking that outfielder Michael Conforto can return earlier than originally anticipated.

The 25-year-old underwent surgery in September to repair a torn posterior capsule in his shoulder, an injury he sustained in an August game after swinging at a pitch.

Last month, Conforto began swinging and a return date of May 1 seemed like the goal.

“There’s the May 1 date and it kind of gives me a idea,” he said. “(The medical staff) is helping me understand I got to the be the player I was and know I will be again and that comes from doing things the right way, doing the right progression. I don’t know for sure if it’s going to be May 1, could be earlier, could be later. Who knows.”

At the beginning of this month, Conforto also began throwing soft toss.  The outfielder was able to take 25 front tosses in addition to 15 cuts off a tee and said that everything felt normal afterwards.

Until he returns, Yoenis Cespedes and Jay Bruce will man the corners of the outfield with Juan Lagares and Brandon Nimmo figuring to platoon in central.

About Rob Piersall 1174 Articles
Rob Piersall is a fourth-year student at SUNY New Paltz, studying journalism with a minor in communications. He is also the managing editor for his school's newspaper, The Oracle. A Mets fan since the age of six in 2001, Rob is senior editor here at MMO. His favorite thing is reporting breaking Mets news and transactions as well as writing columns. He is also ready to see what Mickey Callaway brings to the table in 2018. LGM! Follow Rob on Twitter: @RobPiersall.