Winning was Jerry Grote’s bliss. In fact, his most joyous moment on the diamond was captured on film when teammate Jerry Koosman leapt into his arms after the final out of the 1969 World Series. In 1976, Bob Myrick found out the hard way how Grote felt about losing when the Mets rookie pitcher beat his catcher in a game of Backgammon, causing Grote to explode, sending the board and its pieces across the room [...]
Here are some Mets thoughts from the afternoon media session from Tuesday’s 23rd annual MLB B.A.T. Dinner. Gary Sheffield Sheffield said it was not difficult for him to retire after his long career, which included a World Series championship in 1997 with the Marlins and hitting his 500th career home run as a Met. “I pretty much did everything I wanted to do on a baseball field,” he said. He has enjoyed spending time playing [...]
New York, August 21 — The date was October 14, 1969, when Mets right fielder Ron Swoboda made one of the greatest catches in World Series history, robbing Brooks Robinson of the Orioles in Game 4 at Shea Stadium, a defining moment in the Amazins’ improbable world championship. Now, 40 years later, Mets fans and collectors alike can preserve that historic moment as the New York Daily News and Cirillo World present “The Catch of [...]
2009 marks the 40 year anniversary of our first World Championship. With today’s article and continuing through the summer I will pay tribute to some of the heroes of that 69 team. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy challenged America. He insisted that by the end of the decade, we put a man on the moon and return him safely to earth. Kennedy’s idea was outlandish and considered completely and utterly impossible. However, on July [...]
- Neil: on The Next Japanese Phenom: Shohei Otani: The Wilpons like to break even with...
- Heybatter: on The Next Japanese Phenom: Shohei Otani: Doubt if SA is here when this...
- Hotstreak: on The 2013 Mets Are Suffering From A Lack Of Accountability: Another "DW lover". Yes DW is...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on MLB Scout On Davis: Would Have Been Better Served Going To Minors Last Season: Alderson has built a team of LOSERS!!! And...
- Lotus1209: on The Next Japanese Phenom: Shohei Otani: Good news though... Sandy is gone after...