Mets Are Going Hard After Marlon Byrd
Mike Francesa of WFAN announced that he has knowledge that the Mets are going hard after free agent outfielder Marlon Byrd as long as he doesn’t cost too much.
This is not surprising considering he was one of the most productive players on the team batting .291/.336/.531 this season with a career-high 24 home runs, 35 doubles, 79 runs scored and and 88 RBI, all for the bargain price of $1 million dollars. In fact, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports called Byrd one of the best free agent signings of last offseason.
“I’ve talked to Sandy, I told him thank you for the opportunity at the beginning of the year and thank you for the opportunity to play for a winner,” Byrd said of his conversation with the Mets general manager. “I told him, ‘If you want me back, I would love to come back,’.”
Overall, I thought Byrd was a great presence in the clubhouse and served as a good mentor for some of our younger players. He was certainly one of Sandy Alderson’s best major league additions as GM.
My question is how much is too much for Byrd who I imagine is looking for a two-year deal?
And if we do sign him, is this the signature outfield acquisition for the offseason?
And how is that exactly an upgrade?
(Hat tips to Eileen and Brian)
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
139 Comments + Add Comment
- mets/jets70: on The Beat Goes On: Signs That The Mets Are Back In Business: They spent some money . But they...
- Lareplus: on David Wright: Curtis Instantly Makes Us A Better Team: right! compare these guys to Willie, Hank...
- Lareplus: on Rule 5 Draft: Mets Select RHP Seth Rosin, Trade Him To Dodgers For PTBNL: would Dee Gordon be a decent utility...
- Ray Sadecki: on David Wright: Curtis Instantly Makes Us A Better Team: Hi salmon, I was one of...
- Hotstreak: on Rule 5 Draft: Mets Select RHP Seth Rosin, Trade Him To Dodgers For PTBNL: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/37487/f-mart-to-the-houston-astros
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!