MMO Fan Shot: Early Look At Free Agent WAR Rankings
Will Mets target Shin-Soo Choo this Winter?
On Fangraphs, they keep a running count of the standings for free agents based on WAR (Wins Above Replacement).
Now, I am not interested in debating the validity of WAR, and if it can be used as a factor in ranking players, but these are the updated standings which will serve as a basis for considering the top free agent hitters and pitchers for the upcoming offseason.
I decided to include the top thirty position players and top thirty starting pitchers, and I added for reference the average WAR for the top position players over the last three years to see how they have done lately as opposed to their contract year. Each point of WAR is usually valued to about $5MM in real life contracts.
Remember, the Mets must finish among the top ten worst records to avoid losing a first round pick if they sign a free agent refusing a qualifying offer from their current teams.
Right now, the Mets have the #7 pick, but trail the #5 pick by just three losses. You can follow the “race” here.
- Shin-Soo Choo’s fielding is as a centerfielder this year. However, as a right fielder with the Indians, from 2010–2012 his fielding rating was 6.3, 2.1, and -16.7, respectively.
- Any player traded during the season, like Marlon Byrd and Ricky Nolasco, cannot be given a qualifying offer. Thus, no compensation is lost by signing him.
- Juan Uribe had the biggest spreads in WAR, as he was 0.4, 0.2, and 4.1, for the years 2011 – 2013, respectively.
- Players suspended like, Peralta and Cruz, cannot gain any WAR in the last month. On average, most players seem to have gained about a half point WAR since August 31st (I did this exercise then also). Pence has gained 1.6 points of WAR in these three weeks.
- Nate McLouth has WAR of 0.1, 0.6, and 2.6 from 2011 – 2013, respectively.
- Adam Lind only had two year of WAR greater than zero, 1.7 in 2013 and 3.4 in 2009.
- Kendrys Morales only had 2012 and 2013 calculated in his average, as he missed all of 2011.
- Jon Lester has a $14MM option for 2014 that is expected to be exercised by the Red Sox.
* * * * * * * *
This Fan Shot was contributed by MMO reader, TexasGusCC. Have something you want to say about the Mets? Share your opinions with over 22,000 Mets fans who read this site daily. Send your Fan Shot to GetMetsmerized@aol.com. Or ask us about becoming a regular contributor.
About the Author: Fan Shot
Share your opinions with over 22,000 daily readers on MMO and write your own Fan Shot. If we like what we read, we'll feature you on our front page with the rest of of our great content. Simply email us at GetMetsmerized@aol.com and we'll take care of the rest. Then you can tell your all your friends and family that you were published on Mets Merized Online - the #1 Mets Fan Site on the web!
40 Comments + Add Comment
- SLMetsFan: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: If EY isn't moved to 2nd, who...
- Spartacus: on Mets Could Still Target An Outfielder Despite Chris Young: Well to be fair to Jason you...
- Donal: on Things Are Very Quiet For The Mets Today: I remember so many predictions that didn't...
- Bcleveland3381: on Trading Daniel Murphy Doesn’t Make the Mets Better: You could make the argument that Murph...
- Djmurphy: on Things Are Very Quiet For The Mets Today: Anyone who don't think this team has...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!