Mets Minors Report 5/6: Bowman Promoted To Lucie, Wheeler Heating Up, Leathersich Smoking Hot
- Las Vegas knocked off Sacramento, 6-2.
- Binghamton topped Harrisburg, 6-1.
- St. Lucie nipped Daytona, 1-0.
- Savannah had their game postponed due to rain.
- Zack Wheeler had his second solid start in a row yesterday against Sacremento. In six innings pitched, he sacrificed three hits while only waling one. He held Sacremento to no runs. It was a nother step in the right direction for Wheeler, who the Mets could desperately use in their rotation. He showed improved command of his fastball in yesterday’s game, but he still has to work on throwing the breaking ball consistently for strikes in order to get major league hitters out.
- MMO’s No. 8 prospect, Domingo Tapia, continues to pitch well. Very well actually. Through 32 innings of work this season, Tapia has compiled 28 strike outs to just 13 walks, only allowed 20 hits, and has only given up eight earned runs this season. The key to Tapia’s success seems to be his ability to handle adversity — the sinking action on his fastball and change up also helps. More regarding Tapia in the Quote of The Day.
- The Binghamton bats awoke from a slumber in yesterday’s game. The team pounded out ten hits, three of which were home runs and the offensive attack was led by Alonzo Harris who had three hits, and a home run of his own. The other two players who added home runs were Richard Lucas and Josh Rodriguez.
- Sticking with Binghamtom, Jack Leathersich is for real — dude mows down hitters. He struck out the side in the ninth inning of Binghamton’s victory last night. He has 27 strike outs in 15 innings pitched this season…wow.
- Collin Cowgill smacked a three-run home run for Las Vegas yesterday. With Matt den Dekker getting closer to coming back and Kirk Nieuwenhuis on the roster, Las Vegas is going to have a log jam of centerfielders.
- If anyone wants to catch Rafael Montero pitch, he should be on the hill tomorrow night in Trenton. Starting in tonight’s game should be Cory Mazzoni (fresh off the DL), and on Wednesday night should be Logan Verrett on the hill.
Stat Lines of the Day
Zack Wheeler: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 4 K
Alonzo Harris: 3-for-4, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 R, 1 SB
Jack Leathersich: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K
- Princeton product Matthew Bowman has been promoted from Savannah to St. Lucie.
- Robert Gsellman to Savannah and Hansel Robles is back with St. Lucie and starting today’s game.
- Cory Mazzoni is coming off the disabled list and will start for the B-Mets in Trenton tonight.
Quote of the Day
Here is what St. Lucie manager Ryan Ellis had to say about Tapia, after his start yesterday:
Regarding his breaking ball: “It’s more of a curveball and it’s come along nicely,” Ellis said. “He’s starting to trust it a lot more. Even when he’s behind in the count, he’s comfortable enough to mix it in. He’s found control enough with it where he feels comfortable throwing it.”
“If he can control that fastball with heavy sink and mix in his curve to the other side of the plate, it doesn’t matter how hard he’s throwing,” Ellis said. “He’s going to keep guys off balanced. He’s absolutely confident with [the curve] right now. Hats off to him for that. That’s a big part of his development.”
Regarding dealing with adversity: “I’ve noticed him progressing in a way,” Ellis said. “He’ll slow himself down, step behind the rubber and toss around the rosin bag and calm himself down. He’s not pressing. He’s slowing the game down and making adjustments to get himself back in the zone.
Photo of the Day
Logan Verrett dealing in Binghamton (Photo by MMO Contributor Gordon Donovan)
About the Author: Mitch Petanick
MMO Player Analyst and prospect guru. Still lacing them up and flattening baseballs in the HVNABA. You can check out some more of my personal thoughts regarding Mets' Prospects at my personal blog www.metsprospects.com (but most of my stuff can be found right here on MMO). Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FirstPitchMitch
13 Comments + Add Comment
- Reese: on MMO Mailbag: Add Zobrist to the Fold?: You could play Zobrist at SS and...
- taskmaster4450: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: It seems some should get out of...
- Kay: on MMO Fan Shot: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: YOU stated "What we needed was Beltran...
- ElSid1986: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: BINGO!!!
- metfanlou: on The Beat Goes On: Reporters Weigh In On Amazins’: Now Mets' fanbase and rabid fans. Can...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!