3 Up & 3 Down, The Subway Series Sweep Edition, Yeah Baby!!!
We’re feeling giddy here at 3N3 headquarters… The champagne corks are popping, because yes friends, the New York Mets have swept the New York Yankees in all four games of the Subway Series for the first time ever. Let’s say it again, the Mets SWEEP the Yankees! In all my writing here on MMO, I am nothing if not honest, so I’ll say it up front, I hate the Yankees, and I despise their fans. Sorry if that makes me a bad guy, but at least I’m honest. So in light of the this great moment in Mets history, we have a special Happy Recap Edition with 6 Ups.
- Dan(iel) Is The Man: I’ve always been a big fan of Daniel Murphy. Our second baseman is such a genuine major league hitter at the plate these days. Murph came up with some HUGE hits this series, especially after being robbed of a home run on a great catch by Brett Gardner on Monday night. Murphy would exact his revenge and deliver a key hit in the ninth inning to help the Mets win the first game. He kept delivering one big hit after another throughout the series and is one of the most reliable and proficient hitters in the Mets lineup. Murph is the man!
- Captain America: David Wright came through in the clutch and delivered key hits in the first two games of the series at Citi Field. It was great to see our captain come up huge against the Yankees against whom he has a franchise record most hits. Just great!!
- Niese Is Back: Jon Niese had a spectacular outing on Memorial Day against the Yankees. In fact we can say Jon single-handedly diffused the Bronx Bombers, surrendering just one run in seven innings. He’ll be missing his next start on Saturday, but the Mets don’t think it’s serious.
3 More Up:
- Hard Luck Harvey: Just imagine what Matt Harvey‘s record would be if the Mets actually scored some runs for the kid. Harvey pitched brilliantly on Tuesday night and only gave up one run, thanks in large part to a misplayed ball by Marlon Byrd. It was all good however as the Mets came back to win and handed future Hall of Fame closer Mariano Rivera the first no-out, blown save of his career. Harvey was all smiles.
- Heff, Heff Hooray: Keeping up with the whole pitching theme, how about Jeremy Hefner in game three? Heff was aided by five big runs in the first inning, as the Mets knocked Yankee starter David Phelps out of the game very quickly. Jeremy gave up three runs in six innings and finally earned his first win of the season. It’s nice to have Heff as an “Up” for a change.
- Gee Whiz: Last, but certainly not least, we have to give recognize the tremendous performance by Dillon Gee who pitched the best game of his career in clinching the finale of the Subway Series to complete the sweep. Gee pitched a gem, going 7.1 innings, allowing just one run, and fanning 12 pinstripers. A very nice job by Dillon.
Mets sweep the Yankees… I love the sound of that.. Now we can head off to that sorrowful ballpark in Miami to take on the slumping Marlins riding a five-game winning streak… I love our chances… Lets Go Mets!!
About the Author: Gregg Hopps
Gregg lives on Long Island, and has been a Mets fan since Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose slugged it out in the 1973 playoffs. "Keith Hernandez is the best defensive first baseman to ever have played baseball."
48 Comments + Add Comment
- James: on Mets Met With Agent For Bartolo Colon: You're probably not getting Montero straight out...
- Joey D.: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: Hi Joe D. "Arguing semantics, or if I...
- taskmaster4450: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: "Club Met" I like that JB. The only problem...
- Anthony: on Latest On Trading Ike Davis And First Base Market: Trade proposal: Niese, Montero, Davis, and...
- the mad met: on Thoughts On The Improbable Gardner For Murphy Swap: Omg Dont trade murphy!!! But yes...
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!