Mets Have $95M Payroll And Only $5 Million To Spend? Not Exactly…
Just caught a glimpse of this on MetsBlog:
So, as we’ve been discussing all winter, the Mets payroll is around the same number as it was last year, but without adding new talent to the roster (and reducing their payroll commitments by parting ways with Jon Rauch, Mike Pelfrey, Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez). Now, Sandy Alderson has indicated he would be able to expand the budget to around $100 million, but that doesn’t give him much flexibility to maneuver, especially since he needs to find an outfielder or two, a starting pitcher, and some relief help.
First of all, if you read Adam Rubin’s payroll calculation you would see that the $94.9 million he projects is not actual cash outlay, it’s just an arbitrary number for purposes of determining if any luxury tax is due.
In real dollars…. In real life…. In real cash outlay… In real numbers like the kind the IRS is interested in…
The Mets actual cash outlay for 2013 now stands at:
$69.9 Million Dollars
That accounts for David Wright’s $3 million deferred salary, Jason Bay’s $12 million in deferred salary, Johan Santana’s $5 million in deferred salary and also another $5.5 million for his 2014 option buyout.
None of the money above is being paid in 2013. It is being added in to the payroll projection solely for determining Luxury Tax according to MLB rules.
The truth is that the Mets are paying less than $70 million in payroll for the 2013 season.
Those are the facts.
Sandy Alderson is NOT limited to just $5 million in spending flexibility as the MetsBlog article suggests. If he wanted to keep actual spending at the same level as 2012, he has about $25 million to spend as MMO has always accurately reported.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
100 Comments + Add Comment
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Why did I want to trade Wright???? Because...
- Matt Mosher: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Ok....well, we have the same favorite player. I...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: LMFAO!!! I like Wright a LOT I just...
- taskmaster4450: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Collins had no chance of an extension...
- taskmaster4450: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: You might be able to add Chase...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!