Some Surprises As Far As Players Who Did Or Didn’t Get Qualifying Offers Last Night

An article by posted on November 3, 2012

As you may have already heard, the Angels have opted against giving outfielder Torii Hunter a $13.3 million qualifying offer. After five years with Anaheim and becoming a fan favorite and an integral part of the Angels’ clubhouse, Hunter is now a free agent.

Last night, veteran pitcher Dan Haren also became a free agent despite a last minute attempt to trade him and his team option to the Cubs.

Although both could be re-signed by the Angels it doesn’t appear that will be the case.

“Anything is possible,” General Manager Jerry Dipoto said, when asked if he would continue to talk with Hunter and Haren, “but I can’t say anything is likely.”

According to one of their beat writers, Dipoto said the Angels will go with a younger and much cheaper starting outfield of Mike TroutMark Trumbo and speedy center fielder Peter Bourjos next season, with underachieving Vernon Wells, who is owed $42 million over the next two years, in reserve.

There had been speculation that Bourjos would be traded, but now that seems very unlikely with Hunter gone. The Angels are focused on acquiring a frontline starter and some say they will pursue free-agent right-hander Zack Greinke, who could command a deal in the five-year, $120-million range.

However, if the Mets are unable to work out an extension with R.A. Dickey, I’m almost certain he would have great appeal to them.

It looks like designated hitter  David Ortiz and the Red Sox have come to an agreement that could earn Ortiz $30 million in a two year deal. It’s not official yet, but Red Sox took no chances and made him a $13.3 million qualifying offer anyway.

Ortiz, 37, batted .318 with 23 homers and 60 RBIs while missing almost half the season due to a strained right Achilles tendon.

The Yankees also made qualifying offers to right fielder Nick Swisher, pitcher Hiroki Kuroda and reliever Rafael Soriano.

Texas outfielder Josh Hamilton, Tampa Bay outfielder B.J. Upton, Atlanta outfielder Michael Bourn, Washington first baseman Adam LaRoche and St. Louis pitcher Kyle Lohse also got the offers before the 5 p.m. deadline.

Players now have until November 9th to accept the qualifying offers. If a player turns down the offer and signs elsewhere, his former team would receive an extra selection immediately following the end of the first round of next June’s amateur draft.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.