About the Author: Peter Shapiro
The first time I went to Shea was not for a Mets game, it was for the Beatles concert there in August of '66. My first Met game was '67, a guy named Salty Parker was the interim-manager then. My first pennant race was 1969. As a 12 year-old that summer and fall, I managed to get to the park for 3 games. The first was the beginning of the Miracle which actually started on Tuesday July 8, 1969 with a day game against the Cubs. I was there a lot in '73. I saw games 3 & 5 of the 1973 NL Playoffs against the "Big Red Machine", from the upper deck behind home plate. It was from there that I witnessed the fight between Bud Harrelson and Pete Rose, and the mayhem that ensued. And that sweet victory in game 5! I saw a couple of WS games at Shea that year against that legendary Oakland A's club. I was there in 1985 for every single game Dr. K pitched including his two 16 strikeout performances, and the day he one-hit the Cubs on an infield single and the Mets won 1-0. I loved being a Met fan in those days. Hopefully we are once again preparing to emerge from the darkness.
Leave a comment
- Liars N. Charge: on ESPN New York: Justin Turner Cut For Not Hustling: Sounds like the whinings of a punk...
- Hatt Marvey: on Mets Ramping Up Efforts To Trade Daniel Murphy,: Hell Yeah !!!
- Metsie: on Mets Back Off On Bartolo Colon Due To Demands: I think Mr Glass house who sat...
- Adam Choit: on Winter Meetings: Ike Davis Trade Not Imminent: Keep Ike, trade Duda. He's probably...
- Alwayzamazin: on Mets Back Off On Bartolo Colon Due To Demands: Walter Mercado? what is our future?
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!