Steven Cohen To Buy Minority Stake In Mets
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, billionaire investment manager Steve Cohen, who is set to become one of the $20 million minority investors in the New York Mets.
The deal would not preclude Cohen from pursuing the Dodgers, according to two people familiar with the transaction but not authorized to discuss it.
Shakin speculates that Cohen’s motivation in buying a 4 percent share of the Mets is to have a “more favorable position” toward reaching majority ownership if Fred Wilpon and family falter. Although Adam Rubin of ESPN does point out that the minority shares have no direct route to a majority stake in the Mets.
Earlier this week it was reported that the Mets are close to finalizing the sale of all ten minority shares and that those deals could close by the end of February.
Cohen, whose net worth is estimated at $8.3 billion by Forbes, is the founder of SAC Capital Advisors, a Connecticut-based investment firm.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
15 Comments + Add Comment
- Teddy Klein: on Day Two: Complete Mets Winter Meeting Wrap: Flores has a better chance.
- Moose: on Day Two: Complete Mets Winter Meeting Wrap: What about moving Murray over to SS....
- DrDooby: on Day Two: Complete Mets Winter Meeting Wrap: I do expect Ike Davis to be...
- DrDooby: on Granderson Makes Good First Impression, Loves The Direction Of The Mets: Dice K's last good season came in...
- Herb G: on Mets Set Sights On Former Closer Chris Perez: I would NOT sign Chris Perez based...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!