Steven Cohen To Buy Minority Stake In Mets
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, billionaire investment manager Steve Cohen, who is set to become one of the $20 million minority investors in the New York Mets.
The deal would not preclude Cohen from pursuing the Dodgers, according to two people familiar with the transaction but not authorized to discuss it.
Shakin speculates that Cohen’s motivation in buying a 4 percent share of the Mets is to have a “more favorable position” toward reaching majority ownership if Fred Wilpon and family falter. Although Adam Rubin of ESPN does point out that the minority shares have no direct route to a majority stake in the Mets.
Earlier this week it was reported that the Mets are close to finalizing the sale of all ten minority shares and that those deals could close by the end of February.
Cohen, whose net worth is estimated at $8.3 billion by Forbes, is the founder of SAC Capital Advisors, a Connecticut-based investment firm.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
15 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/19/2013
MMO Mets Chat
- Djmurphy: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: This guy is a hitting machine. When...
- Djmurphy: on Wilmer Flores: It’s Time For Another MLB Debut: Trade murph his value has nvr been...
- Fonzie13: on Mateo Had Tommy John Surgery This Week: This sucks. I'm just as high on...
- Russell's Mets: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: Now you're just trolling, Giants won...
- Russell's Mets: on Marcum Can’t Find Win Column As Mets Fall To Braves 5-3: a 22 year old playing in low...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!