If Jose Reyes Re-signs, Payroll And Flexibility Take a Major Hit
I came across a short, but interesting piece from Chris McShane of Amazin’ Avenue that talked about the future payroll of the Mets if Jose Reyes resigned with the team.
During Thursday’s media event at Citi Field, GM Sandy Alderson said that resigning Reyes “can happen” within the $100-110 million dollar projected payroll. However, signing Jose Reyes to an extension comes with a problem he warned, that would affect the teams payroll flexibility for the next couple of years.
I know Alderson has a very tough decision to make, but as a fan, would you rather live with losing Jose to another team like the Phillies, or would you want to have him back, but lose a lot of payroll and the flexibility that comes with it? If I had to make that choice, it would be easy. I would rather keep Jose, and lose a bit of payroll flexibility. Here’s why.
This season just two of the eight playoff teams spent more than $110 million on payroll (Yankees and Phillies), four teams spent between $85 and $105 million (Cardinals, Rangers, Brewers and Tigers), and two teams spent less than $55 million (Rays and D-Backs).
You don’t need to have one of the highest payrolls in baseball to make the postseason. If the Rays and the D’Backs can spend only $55 million to make the playoffs, then the Mets can certainly do the same with $110 million and do it with Jose Reyes.
I would rather see Reyes back with the Mets rather than seeing him continue to dazzle with another team like the Phillies, or the Giants.Your thoughts?
About the Author: Brandon Butler
Brandon is lifelong Met fan and enjoys sharing his opinions on MMO. He is also the co-host of the Mets Madness Podcast.
33 Comments + Add Comment
- Joey D.: on Mariners Agree To Deal With Corey Hart: Hi metsin20, They are in less trouble now...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Oops guess the Yanks were interested til...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: I dont think Phillips is overrated I...
- metsfaninparadise: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: So Grandy was a "character" guy, on...
- Alwayzamazin: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Thanks for the update Hank. The littlest...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!