Summary Of Potential Changes To Citi Field
MetsBlog summarizes the potential changes Sandy Alderson discussed before yesterday’s game:
David Wright seemed absolutely relieved to know that changes were on the way:
“It’s nice to have a front office that recognizes the situation and tries to correct it. The most you can ask for is just to be in a ballpark that is fair, and from what I understand, that’s what it sounds like they are trying to do – make it a little more neutral. I think that’s fair, and that’s obviously welcome, because I think there are some places in our ballpark that are a little unfair to hitters at this point.”
Currently, the Mets rank 13th in the league and last in the division in home runs with 102.
Wright isn’t the only player who has been openly critical of the park in recent weeks and the size of the park has gotten deep into many of the hitters’ heads.
I don’t see a problem with making the park similar to what we had in Shea Stadium which still kept hitters honest, aided the pitchers and was always regarded as a fair ballpark.
Citi Field had already undergone changes last season when they reduced the wall in center field, but it did little to increase home run production this season or last.
In 2011, Citi Field ranks as the third-most difficult park in which to hit a home run, according to MLB Park Factors. In 2010, the park was ranked fourth.
Even the fans that I’ve spoken to who were dead-set against reducing the dimensions in Citi Field before the start of this season, have softened their stances on the issue.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
19 Comments + Add Comment
- Mr North Jersey: on Wheeler Pitches Five Innings, Shakes Off Some Rust: The biggest thing for me was that...
- Eric: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: The Mets need more time to get...
- Metsie: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: Sorry Connor they weren't mistakes made by...
- Vinny B: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Also, one could make the argument that...
- Jimmy J: on Mets Need More Time To Get Better Understanding Of Ike Davis?: Send him down for 2 weeks. He's...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!