Reyes Camp Calls NY Post Report Bogus, Mets Getting Calls On Beltran

An article by posted on July 7, 2011

The secret negotiations between the Mets and Jose Ryes which were reported by the NY Post, were apparently so secret that neither Jose Reyes or his agents knew anything about them.

Nothing has changed folks. Just as Reyes and his agents made very clear last month, they are very committed to not negotiating a new contract during the season.

“Nothing’s changed since this first came up a few weeks ago,” said Chris Leible, one of Reyes’ agents, in a telephone interview with the Star-Ledger.

Sandy Alderson also debunked the rumor and said he was honoring the request of Reyes’ agents and will not make an offer during the season.

But the New York Post says that Alderson and Reyes are being less than truthful regarding negotiations, and called their stances “smokescreens” in describing their denials. Make of that, what you will.

Also, according to Kevin Kernan, also of the New York Post, people are calling the Mets about Carlos Beltran. “People are calling,” a Mets source told The Post last night about Beltran.

The Mets right fielder responded, “If a trade happens, I’m prepared for it,” Beltran told The Post. He said teams have called Boras to check in on the situation. “But,” Beltran added, “it’s still too early because we have a ways to go before the trade deadline.”

Mets GM Sandy Alderson agreed with Beltran and repeated that it was far too early to speculate or jump to any conclusions.

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.