Mets Release Luis Castillo
METS PRESS RELEASE
METS RELEASE LUIS CASTILLO
FLUSHING, N.Y., March 18, 2011 – The New York Mets today announced that they have released 35-year-old second baseman Luis Castillo.
The 5-11, 191-pound switch-hitter had one year left on his contract.
“This was baseball decision,” said Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson. “I met with Terry (Collins) and made a recommendation to Jeff (Wilpon) and Jeff approved on behalf of ownership.”
Castillo was acquired by the Mets from the Minnesota Twins on July 30, 2007 for minor league catcher Drew Butera and minor league outfielder Dustin Martin.
He has a .299 career average over 13 major league seasons with 194 doubles, 59 triples, 28 home runs, 443 RBI and 370 stolen bases.
Also, this from Rubin:
“After a long evaluation during spring training, after consulting with [manager] Terry [Collins] and the coaching staff, I made a recommendation to ownership in the best interest of the organization and Louie that he be released,” general manager Sandy Alderson said. “Ownership approved.”
Alderson refused to handicap the remaining field of candidates, but Rule 5 pick Brad Emaus appears a leading candidate. He has a supporter in J.P. Ricciardi, who was the general manager who drafted Emaus with the Toronto Blue Jays, and who has a track record of walking more than striking out while displaying power that is in line with the Mets front office’s philosophy.
Original Post 11:00 AM
It is being widely reported that second baseman Luis Castillo has been released. Adam Rubin was the first to report this via Twitter.
GM Sandy Alderson is expected to make an announcement very shortly when he addresses the media.
Luis Castillo has already left the Mets complex.
Luis Castillo to Newsday on what he said in meeting:
“I said I came here to play and you didn’t give me the chance. You didn’t use me.”
By the way, a TERRIBLE JOB by Andy Martino of the Daily News, who suggested that the reason the Mets fan base disliked Luis Castillo was because of racisim. Unbelievable that a major newspaper would go to print witha story like that.
More to come…
About the Author: Rob Johnson
87 Comments + Add Comment
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/16/2013
- DrDooby: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: If the Mets were contending, then yes...
- DrDooby: on Wilpon Joins Alderson In Painting A Better Tomorrow, But I Need More Than Just Talk: From 1989 where things started to derail...
- Lareplus: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: Terry should have brought in Parnell. ....
- Daniel Nelson: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: I feel like dieing. I thought TC...
- Mike Lloyd: on Mets Lose A 2-1 Heartbreaker After A Braves Two-Run Blast In The Ninth: What a shame ...Gee pitched great again....
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!