A Dear John Letter To Franco From The BBWAA
Having you on our Hall of Fame ballot this year has been a real joy, but unfortunately all good things must come to an end and we have to call it quits.
There’s just no point in seeing you again and I thought it was probably best for both of us to move on with our lives.
Please don’t feel bad and or beat yourself up over it because you did nothing wrong.
It’s not you John, it’s me.
I’ll never forget you…
Marty Noble spoke with John Franco who was very disappointed that he got such a poor showing from the baseball writers.
It is disappointing. I was hoping for at least 5 percent. I thought I’d get five. Anyone who has the fourth-most of anything — hits, RBIs, wins, saves — you figured it had to mean something. But it’s another one of those things that you have no control over. So you just have to take it.
I know there are a lot of guys who vote who have problems with saves. … the saves rule, but you have to be a pretty good pitcher to become the closer. And saves are the only thing we have to measure how a closer does.
I know I had a good career. I’m proud of what I accomplished. I’m proud I was on the ballot.
The only pitchers with more career saves than John Franco (424) are Trevor Hoffman (601), Mariano Rivera (559) and Lee Smith (478). Billy Wagner has retired with 422.
Bruce Sutter, Goose Gossage and Dennis Eckersley are the only closers that have been inducted into the Hall of Fame.
One thing that was odd about the vote was the huge difference between Lee Smith who got 263 votes compared to Franco who only got 27 votes.
They both had almost identical save percentages and Lee Smith finished his career with a 71-92 record and a 3.03 ERA, while Franco sported a 90-87 record with a 2.89 ERA.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
19 Comments + Add Comment
- tlagee: on Introducing “The Mets Weekly” On Metsmerized!: Welcome and thanks for the creativity you...
- Metsie: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_executed_for_witchcraft You can count I suppose...Tell me what...
- Metsie: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: NO got it now I have only...
- Metsie: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: Yep I was agreeing with you....LOL The BEST...
- Connor O'Brien: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: If the chances aren't better then why...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!