Sickels: New York Mets Top 20 Prospects for 2011
From the one and only John Sickels of Minor League Ball, his just released Mets Top Prospects list for 2011.
1) Wilmer Flores, SS, Grade B+: He’s coming around with the bat. How fast will the new regime push him, and what position will he play long-term?
2) Jenrry Mejia, RHP, Grade B: I’m concerned enough about his health to lower his grade a notch, but I still like him. Not a technical rookie due to service time, but under the innings limit and people ask about him.
3) Matt Harvey, RHP, Grade B: Love the power arm, but lingering questions about his command keep him from higher grade at this point.
4) Aderlin Rodriguez, 3B, Grade B-: I am very impressed with his power but concerned about defense and reports of bad work ethic.
5) Fernando Martinez, OF, Grade B-: Stock is starting to slip. Still young, still has potential, but development hampered by injuries and poor handling by previous front office. May need change of scenery.
6) Cory Vaughn, OF, Grade B-: Tools are excellent. If he maintains the improved approach he showed in the NY-P, he’ll blossom.
7) Juan Urbina, LHP, Grade B-: Highly projectable but a long way from the majors. Grade is somewhat aggressive but I like what I hear about him.
8 ) Reese Havens, 2B, Grade C+: Would rank higher with at least a B- or a B if he could stay healthy.
9) Lucas Duda, OF-1B, Grade C+: Older prospect, turned on the power this year, should be a useful bat.
10) Zach Lutz, 3B, Grade C+: A third base version of Duda; lots of power, other skills marginal.
11) Cesar Puello, OF, Grade C+: Others may rank him higher due to speed and tools. Very young, fast, lack of power is a concern, many similar players have failed and something is making me cautious here.
12) Jeurys Familia, RHP, Grade C+: Still like the arm, could bloom if control sharpens up again. He’s actually a sleeper again.
13) Armando Rodriguez, RHP, Grade C+: Scouting reports point to mediocre stuff, but excellent statistics.
14) Kirk Nieuwenhuis, OF, Grade C+: I think he’ll be a useful fourth outfielder.
15) Sean Ratliff, OF, Grade C+: Was Double-A breakout genuine or a fluke? Has always had power, but strikeouts held him back.
16) Albert Cordero, C, Grade C+: Sleeper catching prospect features good glove, power, but needs to tighten strike zone.
17) Matt Den Dekker, OF, Grade C+: I think he can be a good fourth outfielder.
18) Darrell Ceciliani, OF, Grade C+: Younger and faster than Den Dekker and Nieuwenhuis, but less polished.
19) Jefry Marte, 3B, Grade C+: Improved slightly and very young.
20) Mark Cohoon, LHP, Grade C+: Finesse lefty could reach majors in ’11.
21) Dillon Gee, RHP, Grade C: He can eat up innings but I think his ceiling is limited.
He also lists about 15 others which you can check out here.
About the Author: Rob Johnson
NL East Standings
Last updated: 05/18/2013
- Ojeda's Perm: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: Can I get an Amen? Jackpot! Bingo! I don't let...
- Christine: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: I place the blame for the Mets...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Why insulting??? Its the truth Keith Hernandez loved...
- blastingzone: on Is Collins The Blame For Team’s Poor Performance, Or Is He Just The Patsy?: If the mets had a good hitting...
- jessep: on Mets GM Tells Ike Davis He Has Until End Of Month To Turn Slump Around: Hotstreak - you're the one identifying people...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!