Rejected! Smoltz Would Rather Play Golf Than Play For Mets

An article by posted on January 28, 2010

Adam Rubin of the Daily News, reports that according to an inside source, John Smoltz could choose not pitching over pitching for the Mets.

An insider tells the Daily News he believes the 42-year-old Smoltz could follow the route Pedro Martinez went last season — wait and sign mid-season. That could give Smoltz a better opportunity to be at full strength late in the regular season and for any potential postseason activity.

On WFAN’s Boomer and Carton morning show, they are running hard with this latest news, adding that John Smoltz would rather play golf than have anything to do with a schlock organization like the Mets.

It’s quite shocking if it’s true, to be turned down by a soon to be 43-year old who seemingly has no other offers on the table, are we trying to pay him in medifast coupons?

It’s time to acknowledge the reality that the Mets have painted themselves as one of the most inept and dysfunctional organization in sports, the recent rash of rejections along with those players’ accompanying comments regarding the Mets is a bit disconcerting to say the least.

Joel Pineiro, who told everyone that his first choice was to become a Met, rejects them after waiting over two months for an offer. He signs a two-year deal for an $8 million dollar annual salary less than 24 hours after the Mets meekly presented their offer. To little, too late.

Jason Marquis called several Mets players and had his agent make several calls to Omar Minaya to fulfill his childhood dream of one day pitching for the New York Mets. By the time the Mets turned their attention to him, he had already agreed to a contract with the Nationals for two-years and $17 million dollars.

The Mets chased nobody harder this off season than free agent catcher Bengie Molina. He rejected the Mets one year offer with a player option, to take less annual salary and a one-year deal with the Giants for a mere $4.5 million dollars. He’d later say that it was going to take a lot more than what the Mets offered, (substantially more than what he signed for),  for him to play for that team. A lot more.

One the same day that the Mets turned their attention to Jon Garland, after failing in their efforts to sign Ben Sheets, Garland’s agent told the Mets don’t bother. Hours later Garland signed a one-year deal for $5.3 million dollars with the Padres.

It seems the Mets built themselves a pitchers park that nobody wants to pitch or catch in.

One other note…

Yesterday, Red Sox GM Theo Epstein boasted that he is thrilled that he was able to get two top picks in the upcoming June draft from the Mets in the Billy Wagner deal. The Mets in the meantime, have signed Fernando Tatis which ensures that 27 year old Chris Carter will spend his fifth season in a row mired in AAA. Carter was the player the Mets received in the Billy Wagner trade. Incidentally, if reports are true, Tatis will be paid more than the 1.5 million the Twins just paid Jim Thome, who hit 23 homeruns while driving in 77 runs in only 363 at-bats, and posting a .366 on-base percentage last season.

Pitchers and catcher report in 20 days.

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.