What’s The Knock On This Guy?
Quick, only one active player has hit 40 or more homeruns and drawn 100 or more walks for five consecutive seasons. Who is he?
The answer is Adam Dunn. For some reason whenever Dunn’s name comes up as a potential candidate to takeover in left field, you get more jeers than cheers… more thumbs down than thumbs up.
Of course Dunn is not the perfect left fielder, but then again who is?
At 28 years old, he is about to enter his prime and enjoy the best years of his career.
His power is without question among the best in baseball. He has 278 homeruns in his career, and 206 of them have come in the last five seasons.
His career average is just .247, but he makes up for it with his ability to draw walks and his on-base percentage is an impressive .381.
He isn’t a burner on the basepaths, but he has above average speed and has stolen 59 bases in his career.
He strikes out a lot… actually his strikeout totals are quite alarming. However, he has a career OPS of .900 which is among the best in baseball.
Surely, a bat like this would add some significant punch to our lineup. Dunn is a free agent and the Mets would not have to part with any players to get him.
Ironically, no Met had 40 homeruns or had drawn 100 walks last season.
If the Mets were to sign Adam Dunn, the Mets lineup would be among the most formidable in the National League:
1. Jose Reyes (S)
2. Ryan Church (L)
3. David Wright (R)
4. Carlos Delgado (L)
5. Carlos Beltran (S)
6. Adam Dunn (L)
They would potentially have five hitters who can hit 30 or more homeruns in the lineup.
I think the Mets should seriously consider Adam Dunn as an option, and I would feel more comfortable signing him to a 4-year deal rather than Manny Ramirez.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
NL East Standings
Last updated: 06/18/2013
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on The Future Is Here: Six Scoreless In Wheeler’s MLB Debut: " Also, Cowgill looks a little better,...
- taskmaster4450: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: It cost nothing. Just a swap...
- tlagee: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Don't want to be negative but Young...
- Frankie Says: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Another scrub who got cut by a...
- Hank: on Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr. For Collin McHugh, DFA Cowgill and Promote Brown: Meh. This is one of those shots...
Latest From Mets Minors
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!