The Mets were back home at Tradition Field after coming from behind to win their first game of the Grapefruit League season on Monday, 6-2 over the Atlanta Braves.
Today they faced the Houston Astros with Zack Wheeler opposing lefty Rudy Owens. The Mets started out fast in today’s game with three quick runs in the 1st inning and knocked Owens out from the game. They finished by beating the Astros 6-2 and improving their Spring record to 2-3. Finally the bats have woken up!
- Zack Wheeler pitched a 1-2-3 first. It wasn’t as electrifying as Noah Syndergaard‘s debut on Monday, but he got the job done. His final line was 3 IP, 2 H and 3 K’s. Very good start for Wheeler.
- Vic Black, (1 IP, 3 BB, 1 K), Black walked the bases loaded and Jeff Walters, (1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R) came in with the bases loaded in the 7th and got out of the jam.
- Scott Rice pitched a 1-2-3 ninth. 1 IP, 1 hit, 2 strike outs.
- Eric Young Jr. (0 for 2, BB, R) walked in the first and scored on a Chris Young (1 for 3, R, RBI) double. CY also gunned down Cesar Izturis trying to stretch a single into a double.
- Curtis Granderson (2 for 2, 2 HR’s, 3 RBI) gave the Mets exactly what they needed as he hit his first HR of the spring, a two run shot to right field scoring Chris Young, He then crushed a second blast to right field for his two-homer day. Very excited about what he will do for the Mets in 2014. Great pick up.
- Travis d’Arnaud (2 for 3, 2 singles)
- Daniel Muno, walked and stole second base in the 6th inning and Brandon Nimmo wasted no time by slashing a line drive to right field, scoring Muno to extend the lead to 5-2.
- In the bottom of the 8th inning, Brandon Allen (1 for 5) singled and scored Cesar Puello (1 for 2) who doubled earlier in the inning and put the Mets up 6-2.
Coming up: The have two games scheduled for Wednesday, with a split squad traveling to Space Coast Stadium to face the Washington Nationals for a 1:05 PM start and the other half of the Mets remain at Tradition Field to face the Miami Marlins for a 1:10 PM start.
(Photo Credit: Jeff Roberson/AP)