It Was An Epic Night For Mets Pitching Prospects
Wow, what an epic evening for the New York Mets organization as a whole last night…
If like me, you’re a believer that the road to a championship is paved with elite pitching, Saturday night gave us a glimpse of the greatness that lies ahead for the Mets as their top three pitching prospects were on full display for all to see and none of them disappointed. On the contrary, Zack Wheeler, Rafael Montero and Noah Syndergaard exceeded all expectations and delivered scintillating performances that excited the senses and fed the growing hope that the Mets are heading toward a brighter future.
Lets quickly summarize their three performances last night:
- Noah Syndergaard: For the second straight start, he permitted just two hits and a walk through five innings and allowed no earned runs. His final line was: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 5 K, 56 Pitches. In his last 16 innings pitched spanning three starts, Syndergaard (THOR) has allowed just one run on five hits while striking out 16.
- Rafael Montero: In his fourth consecutive start of pitching six innings or more, Montero allowed just run on two hits and two walks while racking up nine strikeouts in seven innings pitched for the Las Vegas 51s. In his last four starts pitching in the notorious Pacific Coast League, the young righty has a 2.33 ERA with 21 strikeouts and eight walks in 27 innings pitched. Since being promoted to Triple-A, Montero has a 3.60 ERA in 12 starts. Hitter’s league? What hitter’s league? As I always say, Command and Control id greater than Velocity and Stuff.
- Zack Wheeler – The Mets’ top pitching prospect heading into 2013 did something he has not done in his first nine starts – he did not walk a batter for the first time in his big-league career. Wheeler allowed just one run on six hits in 6.1 innings pitched and struck out four. Unlike his last two starts, his velocity did not diminish late in the game and he was still lighting up the radar in the mid-nineties.
What a night, huh? Combined, the three of them tossed 18.1 innings and allowed just two earned runs on ten hits with 18 punch-outs.
But as I said in my opening paragraph, last night was epic. There’s even more…
John Gant: In his best start of the season, Gant did not allow a hit through 5.1 innings as he dominated last night for the Brooklyn Cyclones. His no-hit bid and shutout was broken up in the sixth inning, but he finished the night with 6.0 innings pitched, allowing just one run on two hits, and striking out seven.
Seth Lugo: Meanwhile in Savannah, Lugo was stellar as well last night, pitching seven shutout innings and walking none. He allowed four hits and struck out a career-high 11 batters. Since his promotion to Single-A Savannah, Lugo has pitched in two games for a total of 13 innings — with 21 strikeouts.
Wow, what a night for Mets pitching… Five spectacular performances in one incredible night… It kind of gives me goosebumps…
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
10 Comments + Add Comment
- Sloatsburg Mets Fan: on Wright Excited To Have Granderson On Board, Alderson Determined To Get Deal Done: Donal I said I WOULDN'T as in WOULD...
- taskmaster4450: on The Curtis Granderson Story: Have We Seen This Movie Before?: No they are just stuck trying to...
- Jcutiger: on MMO Fan Shot: A Temporary Solution for First Base: No way, no thanks.
- taskmaster4450: on The Curtis Granderson Story: Have We Seen This Movie Before?: Is Granderson a risk? Of course....
- Captain America: on The Curtis Granderson Story: Have We Seen This Movie Before?: Pre concussion Bay had ZERO power. ...
MMO Chat: Lets Talk Mets Baseball!
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!