Should Chris Young Be Brought Back?
Chris Young took the loss on Sunday, but worked into the seventh inning, and in doing so passed 100 innings for the season and received a $150,000 bonus.
More importantly, he’s probably showed enough to warrant a contract for 2013, if not from the Mets, then somebody else.
“It means I’m healthy,’’ said Young. “I think I’ve pitched pretty well, better than my record probably indicates. But, there’s a lot of room for improvement.’’
There is, because although Young had his moments when he worked deep into games like today, there were others when he was rocked. Still, he started 18 games, his most since 2008.
Veteran arms are important, so we shouldn’t write off Young returning even though he’s not included in next year’s rotation. Although the Mets have ideas as to how their rotation will look, there are significant questions that make Young’s presence desirable.
Both Johan Santana and Dillon Gee are coming off injuries so there will be caution with them. You have to like Matt Harvey’s future, but it is premature to label him an ace right now.
Something will happen next year, you know it, so having depth is essential. If not Young, then the Mets will shop in the bargain aisle for veteran pitching depth.
The advantage of bringing back Young is the Mets’ familiarity with him.
Other Mets Matters…
* Terry Collins said Jeremy Hefner would likely get the start Wednesday against the Phillies. A couple of weeks ago this series meant nothing, but the Phillies, like the Brewers, have become wild card contenders.
* David Wright now has 1,411 hits, seven shy of Ed Kranepool, the franchise’s career hit leader. Yes, statistics is what it has come down to for the Mets this season. I’d also like to see Wright finish with at least 90 RBI. He has 81. Another milestone would be Ike Davis hitting 30 homers, joining Eddie Murray, Carlos Delgado and David Kingman as Mets first basemen with 30 homer seasons.
* After Jenrry Mejia was shelled Saturday, pitching coach Dan Warthen said he views him as a reliever, claiming he didn’t believe he would be able to throw 200 innings year after year. I wonder how Warthen can make that assessment when the organization keeps bouncing Mejia around from being a starter to the bullpen.
* The opportunities are getting winding down for R.A. Dickey’s bid to win 20 games. He’s scheduled to start tomorrow night against the Phillies and maybe two more after that. He’s stuck on 18 victories.
About the Author: John Delcos
I am an active member of the BBWAA and have covered Major League Baseball in several capacities for over 20 years, including ten in New York working the Mets' and Yankees' beat. I covered the Baltimore Orioles for eight years and the Cleveland Indians before that.
101 Comments + Add Comment
- El Profeta: on MMO Fan Shot: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: I think the Dodgers would much rather...
- Jeru: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: LMAO so anyone who is good, we should...
- Swede: on MMO Fan Shot: Could Kemp Be The Finishing Touch To Powerful Mets Lineup?: Ive been hoping for Kemp since day...
- Jeru: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/80003/tejada-duda-to-return-to-fitness-camp?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter well guess who is sent to fitness...
- Jeru: on Alderson Reiterates That Tejada May Start At Shortstop Next Season: too weak? he was hitting .322 as late...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!