Only 30 days until pitchers and catchers report and then head down to Duffy’s for one of their signature burgers and some seasoned fries. The news this offseason hasn’t been all good, in fact it’s been mostly negative. But don’t blame us, blame the Mets’ circumstances that gave us plenty to debate in what was a very cold hot stove season that saw us lose one of the team’s most popular players in Jose Reyes coupled with an infusion of players most of us never heard of before last season.
Even so, it’s time to get into rooting shape. It’s time to break out all that Mets gear you have buried in your closets and drawers and breathe some new life into them. Mets Baseball is coming back and we want to make sure we’re as ready to root for the players as the players are to play for us. After all, we’re Mets fans and we’re just as amazin’ as the team we love to cheer for no matter how bad things are. It’s in our DNA!
Here are 30 more reasons to stay dialed in…
1. Ike Davis – He’ll be batting cleanup and says he’s 100% and ready to go. I’m psyched!
2. Johan Santana – I don’t know when, but he’ll be back and he’s worth the price of admission.
3. Jose Reyes will be back at Citi Field on April 24. Standing O or boos and jeers?
4. Daniel Murphy – I’m thinking this is the year he stays healthy and becomes an NL All Star.
5. Gary, Keith and Ron – They’re the best and don’t forget Ralph Kiner and Kevin Burkhardt!
6. Milestones: David Wright closing in on 300 doubles and 200 home runs.
7. The outfield walls are now Blue and Orange – It’s about time!
8. The Phillies – These games always have a playoff feel and I relish every game we win!
9. Jason Bay – Is this the year he starts producing like we all expected him to?
10. It’s the 50th Anniversary of those Casey Stengel led 1962 Mets!
11. Banner Day is Back – Bust out all those tired, old, white bed sheets!
12. Help is on the way – Will Reese Havens and Matt Harvey debut in 2012?
13. One or two Terry Collins post game explosions on SNY – Those were fun to watch!
14. R.A. Dickey – Mountain Man, kuckleballer, Jedi Master. Can you use the force to score runs?
15. Milestones: Johan Santana closing in on 2,000 strikeouts!
16. Ruben Tejada – Posted a .360 OBP in his first taste of regular playing time.
17. David Wright – Will the shortened walls equal a return to superstar status?
18. Frank Francisco – Can this Francisco replace the Francisco we traded to Milwaukee for…
19. Jon Rauch – He’s very tall and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!
20. Meet the New Mets – Andres Torres, Ramon Ramirez, Ronny Cedeno, etc. You never know!
21. Subway Series – Beating the Yankees is always fun! 6/8-6/10 there and 6/22-6/24 in our house.
22. Jon Niese – He’s ready to take the next step and show everyone he’s a keeper!
23. Fireworks Night – No not Pyrotechnics Night, I mean the trade deadline, silly!
24. Inter-League – We play the Blue Jays, Orioles and Rays this year.
25. Super Sophs – Will Lucas Duda and Dillon Gee avoid the dreaded sophomore jinx?
26. Mike Pelfrey – Which version shows up this season, 2010 or 2011?
27. Howie Rose – You didn’t think I’d forget one of the most iconic radio broadcasters we ever had!
28. Mr. Met – He’s got a big head and never says much, but he’s still the best mascot in the game!
29. Spoiler – We end the season against the Marlins and payback’s a bitch!
30. A Mets No-Hitter – What if it happens and you weren’t watching!