If The Team Values Innings Pitched, Why Do They Let Pelfrey Pitch So Many Of Them?
While reading about a rumor that the Mets and Rockies discussed a potential Mike Pelfrey for Huston Street swap on MetsBlog, I came across this comment by Matt Cerrone regarding Pelfrey. It’s something he never fails to say whenever he mentions Mike Pelfrey:
“The team values innings pitched and, at the very least, he delivers them and with potential.”
What does that even mean?
I can assure you that Sandy Alderson would never make such a statement without first making certain it read that he values “QUALITY” innings pitched.
To say Pelfrey’s value lies in his innings pitched (which is less than six innings per start for the record), is as asinine a statement as saying Jeff Francoeur’s value lies in his ability to give you at-bats. Something once said by the GM formerly known as Omar Minaya, in 2009.
Did we already forget the lesson of what happens when you give too many at-bats to bad hitters?
The same principle applies to pitching.
Compared to all starters in the National League, the value of Pelfrey’s innings pitched were about the same as the value of Mike Nickeas’ at-bats in 2011. In other words, they were both unbelievably bad.
The more innings you give Pelfrey, the more he jeopardizes the team’s chances for a win.
I’m sorry to hear that the Mets will be tendering him.
As for the Pelfrey for Street rumor, I wouldn’t even think twice about doing it.
About the Author: Craig Lerner
I'm a data analyst and researcher for a leading news agency who loves life and is hooked on the Mets. I love following the Amateur Draft and have a particular fondness for the Mets Minor Leagues who I follow each day. Give me a cold beer, a summer day, and a Mets game, and I'm good to go.
10 Comments + Add Comment
- Heybatter: on Mets and Braves Suspended After Eight Tied 5-5, Will Resume Play Saturday: Rice will have to......Edgin pitched one inning...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Shh. And don´t tell them that Alderson...
- DrDooby: on Lutz Is The Easy Choice To Replace Davis, But Satin Is The Right Choice: Satin is the prototype organizational Quad A...
- Sach: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: The Mets should have been playing Flores...
- DrDooby: on Scout Says No Way Flores Can Play Any Position But First Base: Since Flores won´t have much trade bait...
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!