Terry Collins believes that part of the problem with the team’s bullpen is because the starting rotation is failing to go deep into games. He says it has been putting an incredible strain on all of his relievers. Ya think? Aside from Matt Harvey and Jon Niese, who combined are averaging over six innings per start, the rest of the rotation has been averaging 4.2 innings per start. Case in point was yesterday afternoon, when [...]
Twenty-five years ago today, the April 1, 1985 issue of Sports Illustrated hit newsstands. Amongst all the coverage of the NCAA Final Four was one particular article that caught the eyes of many Mets fans. The late, great George Plimpton had written an article for that particular issue called “The Curious Case of Sidd Finch”. In the article, Plimpton went on to discuss how Finch was a rookie who was invited to Mets’ spring training [...]
We all know the Mets added a power bat in Jason Bay, are still dealing with injuries/medical issues to key players like Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran, and have huge holes in the starting rotation. But I haven’t heard as much talk about the bullpen. A year ago, almost to the day, I wrote a blog on this site about how the Mets’ revamped bullpen, a terrible weakness in 2008, would pile up K’s and [...]
I’ve always been a Mets fan. Well, since around 1970 or so…that’s as far back as I can remember. So even though many of you have read my work on there the last six-eight months about how frustrated and annoyed I am with the way the team has played and the direction they have gone in with personnel, a new season is upon us and optimism reigns supreme. Let’s face it, every baseball fan loves [...]
I knew I wanted to write something about the Mets’ starting rotation after reading an article in The Sporting News about the Mets being one of this off-season’s “losers,” citing the fact that they did not address the “gaping holes” in the starting pitching rotation. Well, yeah, but we are likely going to go into the 2010 season with a starting staff of Johan Santana, John Maine, Mike Pelfrey, Ollie Perez and Fernando Nieve. And [...]
I recently answered some questions for The Nats Blog in anticipation of the upcoming weekend series with the Washington Nationals. The Mets are off to a 6-8 start, are you disappointed with how things are going right now? Definitely. Although I wouldn’t say I’m surprised by their early performance, it’s still disappointing to experience. The sad part is I don’t see an easy way out right now given the current makeup of the rotation after [...]
- Major Mofongo: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: I remember when David Wright came out...
- Major Mofongo: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Andrew Brown got 45 consecutive starts last...
- Metsie: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: Random...Logic and REASON requires that it works...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: JUST 5??? OK 1. Miguel Cabrera 2. Adrian Beltre 3....
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: I guess the word accountability mean nothing...