Mets Minors: Flores Looks Towards The Show, Nimmo Goes Deep, Cessa Shines
It was a quieter night in the world of Mets Minors purely because Binghamton, St. Lucie, Brooklyn, and Kingsport did not play a game — but as you’ve heard by now, there was definitely some points to talk about…
- Well, the sweet swing of Wilmer Flores will be in a Citi Field near you soon…and spoiler alert: There’s only one Citi Field where this Flores will be rocketing hits off his bat. I’m obviously very excited about his promotion to the major leagues — I mentioned on Twitter last night that I’ve been talking about Wilmer Flores for so many years that it feels like he must be 30. Alas, he’s barely 22 — happy birthday, Wilmer! — and harnesses loads of potential. He should fill in at third base for at least a few starts while David Wright is on the DL. They had to have brought the kid up to play… You cannot begin to imagine the rage that I will have if they brought Flores up to sit his potent bat on the bench.
- Not to be forgotten among our top position player prospects is Brandon Nimmo, who put together a great night last night. He went 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, two RBI and a run scored .The long ball was his first since April 15th as he tries to salvage a season held back because of injury. Remember that he’s 20 years old and you’ll probably run his leash as far as the end of next year, at least.
- Luis Cessa had his best start of the year for Savannah last night as he mowed down the Charleston lineup with ease. He went eight innings and allowed just four hits and no walks — while striking out a gaudy 12. Cessa has sprinkled in a number of excellent starts this year with a respectable ERA (3.12) and a healthy strikeout rate (8.4 K/9).
- It would be unfair not to drop a little note of encouragement to Ivan Wilson, our third round draft pick this year, who had a great game with three hits, including a triple, in three trips to the plate. He scored twice and drove in a run for good measure. Wilson’s a huge favorite of myself and Teddy, so we’re expecting big things from him eventually.
About the Author: Satish Ram
I am a Senior Writer and Editor here at MetsMerized - where I specialize in Minor League coverage. I have been on the staff since 2007 and I am currently in my third semester of college in New York City. You can find me at www.facebook.com/SatishRam or @SilverHeatMMO. Feel free to message me - I love talking about the Mets or baseball overall with anybody.
69 Comments + Add Comment
- Trs86: on The Beat Goes On: Signs That The Mets Are Back In Business: Agreed, you can always smell a loser.
- Hotstreak: on This Day In Mets Infamy With Rusty: Random Thoughts On Bartolo Colon: The ghost of Babe Ruth will be...
- Buddy3: on Bartolo Colon – An Intriguing Signing: Long guy at $ 10 million a...
- emarie: on This Day In Mets Infamy With Rusty: Random Thoughts On Bartolo Colon: as long as he takes C.C., and...
- vigouge: on The Beat Goes On: Signs That The Mets Are Back In Business: Morales is physically unable to play the...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!