Checking In On The Mets Minors With Macks Mets
Mack from the always informative Macks Mets, was gracious enough to answer a few questions for me last week on the “middle of the pack” Mets minor leagues.
1. Where do you rank the Mets Minor League System on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) in the following areas:
A) Starting Pitching: 4 – Lots of good talent but mostly SP5 material… Harvey, Mejia, and Urbina are only velocity guys.
B) Power Hitters: 5 – It did improve last year ( Lutz, Evans, Campbell, Maldonado) but still no real baby bull.
C) Potential Star Caliber Players: 8 – I count eight which, in my book, is a lot (Mejia, Havens, Tejada, Almonte, J-Rod, A-Rod, Harvey, Ceciliani)
D) Overall: 5 – But broken down further I would rank AAA/AA at a 2, and A+/below at a 8.
2. At what position do the Mets have the most quality depth and why?
It’s outfield, but that’s three positions. I’d say second base due to four quality B or higher prospects: Ruben Tejada, Reese Havens, Josh Satin (now playing 1B in winter ball) and Daniel Murphy.
3. Which Mets prospect took the biggest step forward in 2010?
A trick question… player that improved the most who isn’t a prospect… Dillon Gee
The prospect that took the biggest step forward… Lucas Duda
4. Which Mets prospect took the biggest step backward?
Brad Holt, followed closely by Jeuryrs Familia.
5. Lets have some fun. What will the 2013 Mets Opening Day Lineup look like?
- 1B David Wright
- 2B Dan Uggla
- SS Jordany Valdespin
- 3B Aderlin Rodriquez
- C Josh Thole
- LF Jason Bay
- CF Darrell Ceciliani
- RF Ike Davis
- SP Matt Harvey
6. Boom or Bust?
A) Wilmer Flores – Boom, but not in this league… will be AL DH.
B) Dillon Gee – Bust Gee’s finest hour might be last September.
C) Fernando Martinez – The boom/bust meter is being repaired and is on the 7-day DL, bust.
D) Brad Holt – Bigger bust than Matt Durkin
E) Reese Havens – Big time bust due to injuries, not talent.
7. Who is the best Mets prospect most Mets fans never heard of?
Tillman Thomas Pugh (huh?…. look em up)
8. The Mets will have the #13 pick in the 2011 June Draft. I know it’s early, but are there any solid players that will be there for the Mets? Who do you like?
Yes… but, the “Big 7″ will be gone… my guess is another Pelfrey-Harvey clone in RHP Matt Barnes, catcher Blake Swihart, or big time OF-3B bat Brian Harrison.
9. What is your opinion on Ruben Tejada as a starting second baseman for the 2011 season?
Wow… he turned 21 today… I think the Mets have handled him worse than Anderson Hernandez or Victor Diaz…. and he will become a great utility player behind others.
10. Which pitching prospect will have the better major league career, Jenrry Mejia or Matt Harvey?
For some of the best information on the MLB draft, the Mets Minor Leagues and dead people, keep it tuned to Macks Mets.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
- Dan Warthen(phone call from the dugout): on Mets Have Opportunity To Soar To New Heights: Take some soft tosses down the plane...
- Metsie: on Sandy Disappointed With Some Of His Moves And The Team’s Performance: If the yankees have any issue with...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on From Left Field: Big Innings Have Been A Killer: “There is still time, and there’s no...
- Donal: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: He did well at Bingo and now...
- Kyle: on When Will We See Wilmer Flores?: Young with lots of talent and athleticism?...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!