Mets Need To Make More Changes
The Mets make 2 important changes by firing Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. Not much has happened since. As the Mets take their sweet time looking for a general manager there are still a lot more changes that need to be made.
1) The Ballpark: Citi Field is just too big! I know we’ve been saying that for the last 2 seasons but the Wilpons refuse to bring in the fences. All you look at what happened to David Wright in his the first season at Citi Field. His power numbers were down and the last 2 seasons his strikeouts have been on the rise. Wright’s power at Shea was to the right center. Citi Field’s right center is about 45-50 feet deeper than Shea’s and it has affected Wright negatively. Some called it a fluke but then look at Jason Bay’s horrific first season. The park took away his power. Citi Field without a doubt robbed Bay realistically of 5 homeruns and probably more. The great fence of Flushing needs to go down too while we’re at it. It’s time to admit the size of this park was a mistake and change it.
2) Coaching Staff: The entire coaching staff needs to go. Howard Johnson has been a horrible hitting coach. The situational hitting since Hojo took over has been non-existent. It seems like Hojo would rather be their friends than a coach. I get it he’s an 86 Met and the Wilpons are reluctant to fire him. The Mets should just give Hojo a job with a nice title and a good payday and let him go away. Dan Warthen also needs to go. I know the pitching was better than expected this season but I don’t like all the injuries to our pitchers under his reign as pitching coach. I didn’t like that in 2009 he didn’t know about Johan’s latest injury and he didn’t know that Santana was skipping side sessions. I also didn’t like him calling Maine a habitual liar to the press. That’s just something you don’t say. Razor Shines just needs to go. Chip Hale seems to be a decent to good coach but at the same time Ron Darling mentioned many times throughout the season that Hale had been working with Wright and changing his defense. Wright’s defense this year was pretty bad. He committed 20 errors and at times was slow in turning a double play.
3) The 3 Poisons (Carlos Beltran, Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo): Once the Mets finally do hire a general manager that GM (Alderson) must find a way to get these three off this team! Castillo is done, he can’t hit and he has absolutely no range at 2nd base. Castillo brings nothing to the New York Mets, time to cut ties with him. Oliver Perez should not be on this team, he has done nothing for the Mets since signing that contract. Perez cares more about himself than the team as he repeatedly refused to go to the minor leagues. He didn’t win 1 game in 2010! If you look at the way the Mets played before the all-star break and after the break there’s a huge difference. Carlos Beltran decided to finally grace the team with his presence and was supposed to be the spark for this team but unfortunately did nothing other than make outs at the plate and miss balls hit to center on defense. Beltran refused to move over to right field to allow the better player Angle Pagan to play center and help the team. Let’s not forget that these guys also refused to go visit wounded soldiers with the rest of their team. These guys are not team players, they’re hurting this team and it’s time to get rid of them.
The new GM when he/she is finally hired has a lot of work to do and a lot changes to make. Without these changes we can expect another losing season.
About the Author: Former Writers
- Al: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: Captain five holes
- Padilla: on Featured Post: Keep Daniel Murphy In The Leadoff Spot: Your point fails. I don't move...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: The LAST THING you should be worried...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Power Prospect Cory Vaughn Is On A Mission: I know youre supposed to draft BPA...
- Matty: on Reds vs Mets: Niese On The Mound, Murphy Leading Off, Duda Batting Cleanup: I'd go with the white pinstripe unifroms...
MMO Mets Chat
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!