The 6-6-1 Mets are back in action today after their first off-day of the Spring. Back on Tuesday the Mets fell to the Marlins behind good pitching for the most part and a lackluster offense. The game saw Jason Vargas hold the Marlins to 4 hits and a walk with no runs over 2.1 innings, Luis Avilan going 1.2 innings striking out 4 with no runs and Edwin Diaz allowing a hit striking out 2 over an inning. We also saw Brandon Nimmo go 0-4 (dropping his batting average to 0.83 in spring), Conforto go 0-4 and Mesoraco go 0-3 with 2 strikeouts.
But today is a spring training deGrom day. While not as exciting as it’s regular season counterparts, we are ready to see one of our favorites get after it on the mound.
Unfortunately, there is no audio or video for today’s 1:05 p.m. ET start.
- Brandon Nimmo (LF)
- Keon Broxton (CF)
- Michael Conforto (RF)
- Wilson Ramos (C)
- Pete Alonso (3B)
- J.D. Davis (3B)
- Tim Tebow (DH)
- Luis Guillorme (SS)
- Dilson Herrera (2B)
Starting Pitcher: Jacob deGrom
As stated earlier, deGrom is getting his 3rd spring start today. He’s pitched 4.0 innings in his first two games, going 1 inning and then 3 innings, allowing 3 hits and a run while striking out 5 leading to a spring ERA of 2.25 and a WHIP of 0.750.
Things to watch for in no particular order:
- Luis Guillorme has been getting a lot of looks this spring as he competes for a roster spot and he has been making the most of it with a .400/.471/.667 line.
- We haven’t written one of these for Tebow in a while. In 10 PAs he has a .222/.300/.222 line. Not good but also not the worst in the lineup by a long shot.
- The longer Lowrie and Frazier sit out, the more prominent JD Davis will be on the Mets early on in the season. In 27 PAs (27!!!!! A lot to have at this point) he is hitting .308/.333/.500. This is a development to watch.
- Daniel Zamora will be available out of the pen today. As noted earlier, Luis Avilan had a great day yesterday so the pressure is on Zamora. In 3.0 innings he has allowed 2 runs off 4 hits and walk while striking out 3.
- In general the Mets are bringing a lot of interesting players on the bench today. Toffey, Gimenez, Mauricio, Uriarte, etc. The late innings may be fun to watch.
Let’s Go Mets!
Check 213 Miles From Shea for more Mets insights!