The Mets played two yesterday, they’ll play one today and zero tomorrow as they get their first off-day in spring. Yesterday the Mets won on the road and lost at home. Highlights included d’Arnaud’s two hit day, including a double, Aloson’s second homer of the spring, Corey Oswalt allowing 1 run over 2.1 innings, O’Rourke striking out 3 in an inning of work, Cano’s two hit day, Tebow’s two hit day, Familia and Lugo’s clean inning of work. Lowlights include Matz allowing 4 runs off 5 hits in 2.2 innings and Nimmo’s 0-3 day at the plate with 3 K’s.
The game starts at 1:05 p.m. ET with no video available. You can listen on the MLB APP.
- Brandon Nimmo (DH)
- Danny Espinosa (SS)
- Keon Broxton (CF)
- Michael Conforto (RF)
- JD Davis (1B)
- Devin Mesoraco (C)
- Adeiny Hechavarria (2B)
- Gregor Blanco (LF)
- Dilson Herrera (2B)
Starting Pitcher: Jason Vargas
Jason Vargas returns for his second start in spring. His debut outing was decent, allowing 1 run over 2.0 innings off a hit and a walk while striking out 3. Although he struggled over the entirety of 2018, he ended the season strong posting a 2.43 ERA and .188 BA in his last 6 starts and 33.1 innings. If you expand it a bit, he has a 2.62 ERA over his last 8 starts and 44.2 innings. Could a proper spring training bring that Jason Vargas back?
Other Things To Watch For:
- The Mets assigned a group of players, some who were getting regular playing time, to the minors today. There were no surprises in the group. Expect to see more AB’s for regulars now.
- Let’s write off yesterday’s 0-3 performance from Nimmo as undercookedchickenrust. He’s back in there today at DH.
- Keon Broxton (who we looked at 2019 projections for here). So far this spring he’s hitting .182/.357/.182 in 14 PA’s.
- You know what’s great? Conforto is hitting .333/.368/.500 in 19 PA’s. Hope that warms your heart on this cold March day.
- Adeiny Hechavarria gets another start today and needs to start doing something with bat if he wants to make the roster. So far in 15 PAs he’s hitting .077/.200/.308
Let’s Go Mets!
Check 213 Miles From Shea for more Mets insights!