Baseball or bust.
That’s Tim Tebow‘s mindset, as the outfielder proclaimed on Saturday that he is all in on baseball.
The 31-year-old former NFL quarterback said in a press conference on Saturday in Port St. Lucie that he received many calls from the new Alliance of American Football with offers, but his decision was staying committed to the Mets.
Tebow originally joined the Mets organization in 2016 and spent last year with Double-A Binghamton.
In 84 games, he hit .273/.336/.399 with six homers and 36 RBI. His season was ended prematurely after he broke the hamate bone in his hand in July and required season ending surgery.
Tebow is also excited to take reps in the outfield this spring. During his presser, he recalled that on this day last year he sprained his ankle after tripping on a sprinkler head in the outfield.
“I didn’t take one snap of — snap, I mean one pitch — of outfield,” Tebow said, then laughed at calling it a football term.
Below, I will drop a video of Tebow and Mets’ first baseman Peter Alonso taking some cuts down in Port St. Lucie.
Tebow thinks that Alonso is going to be a real impact player when he’s called up.
“Him being a Gator, that means he’s pretty awesome,” Tebow said. “He’s incredibly talented and I think he’s going to have a really, really good career.”
A lot of people don’t think Tebow’s baseball career is serious or that he’ll ever make it.
His word to them? “I’ve had a lot of practice.”
— New York Mets (@Mets) February 16, 2019