Happy Saturday, Mets fans! Names have begun to drop off of the free-agent board in dribs and drabs and some high-powered trade-winds have started to blow as the MLB offseason presses on.
Padres Still Interested in Syndergaard
The Long Island native Rosenthal wrote, “the Padres, who first pursued [Syndergaard] at the non-waiver deadline, remain interested in the Mets right-hander, according to major-league sources”.
Later in the day, Mets COO Jeff Wilpon spoke to the media and didn’t rule out trading their 26-year-old frontline starter.
“It takes two to make a trade,” Wilpon said. “That would have to be pretty lopsided”
The Padres’ farm system is littered with top-flight talent. This past June, Fangraphs included nine Friars prospects in their Top-131 rankings. That’s intriguing, especially with Fernando Tatis Jr. sitting atop that goldmine of blue-chip prospects.
Phillies Ownership Plans to Spend Big
In an interview with Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports, Philadelphia Phillies owner John Middleton pulled no punches, laying down his plan for the Phils heading into the offseason.
“We’re going into this expecting to spend money. And maybe even be a little stupid about it,” Middleton said. “We just prefer not to be completely stupid.”
Philadelphia has already been linked to a number of the biggest names in free agency. Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, and Patrick Corbin are just a few of the names that have been surfacing over the last few days and weeks.
Miami Marlins backstop J.T. Realmuto is drawing a ton of trade interest according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. He notes that “about ten teams” have been “showing some levels of interest”. Buster Olney of ESPN is reporting that Miami’s asking price for Realmuto in a trade is “staggering”.
Realmuto, 27, slashed .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs, 74 runs batted in, 30 doubles, and just 104 strikeouts in 531 plate appearances for the Fish in 2018. The talented catcher is arbitration-eligible through the 202o season and made $2.9 million this past season.
MLB.com‘s Joe Morosi cites a source as saying, “the Marlins have maintained that outfielder Kyle Tucker or right-hander Forrest Whitley would need to be part of any package […]” with the Houston Astros.
Morosi also notes that the Marlins are not inclined to trade Realmuto to another team in the NL East.
Pearce, Bourjos Sign
Bourjos, 31, spent the first four years of his nine-year career with the Angels, slashing .251/.306/.398 with a 98 OPS+ in 354 games. Since then, he’s made stops in St. Louis, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Atlanta.
He hit .205/.239/.364 in 44 MLB at-bats for the Braves last year. He slashed .289/.342/.457 in 68 games split between San Francisco’s and Atlanta’s Triple-A squads last season. Bourjos will be invited to major league camp.
The Boston Red Sox announced that they’re bringing back World Series MVP Steve Pearce on a one-year, $6.25 million deal. Sox’ president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski released a statement (quote via Ian Browne of MLB.com).
“We’re thrilled to have Steve back with us for another year […],” he said. “Obviously, we all saw what kind of impact he can have on the field, especially with the postseason he had.”
Pearce, 35, hit .279/.394/.507 in 165 plate appearances for the Sox after coming to Boston via a midseason trade from Toronto. In the postseason, the right-handed hitter hit .289 with a 1.083 OPS in 38 at-bats with four home runs and eleven RBI.