Jacob deGrom made his second All-Star Game appearance last night as a member of the New York Mets, but obviously, there was a dark cloud that had been hanging over the organization for the last 24 hours or so.
The right-hander’s agent publicly came out and said that he would either like to be extended or traded over the offseason, as he wants to have a future with security.
Before the game, though, the 30-year old clarified that his goal is to remain with the Mets, as detailed by Ken Davidoff of the New York Post.
“I think we expressed that we’ve enjoyed it here. We’d like to stay. It’s up to the Mets. I’ve really enjoyed my time here and enjoyed winning here. I’d like to get back to that.”
DeGrom also seemed to be very pleased by the way his agent eloquently explained his situation publicly on Monday, and certainly supported his agent’s efforts.
“I think the way we put it was, we, first of all, would like to stay here. I have a good relationship with the Mets. We’ve had one my whole career here. We were just expressing that we’d like to stay here and be a part of the future here. So I think the other thing, that was kind of the option. If they don’t see [us together] in the future, get what you can for me. But our main goal would be to stay here.”
However, he did insist to Davidoff and other reporters prior to the game that he would deal with it if the team chose to do neither for him.
DeGrom also said that he believes this team could very well compete again before his contract expires in 2020.
“I think so. Look at how many guys got hurt this year already. [If] you’ve got those guys on the field, they come up in a couple of situations, we probably win a few more ballgames.”