According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, Mets outfielder Michael Conforto has progressed better than anyone could have hoped for.
With that being said, the outfielder expects to play in a Grapefruit League game next week.
Conforto underwent surgery in September after tearing the posterior capsule in his shoulder in an August game. The recovery process has been laborious, but Conforto has looked good this winter in working his way back.
This is great news for both the young outfielder, the fans and the organization.
Original report – March 12, 9 a.m.
Michael Conforto received Sunday off. Coupled with the team’s offday Monday, this will give the outfielder two full days of rest.
However, starting Tuesday, Conforto will ramp up baseball activity and begin taking on a bigger workload.
“I think I’m progressing a little bit quicker than they expected,” Conforto said.
The young outfielder hopes to face live pitching later this week. While he can’t yet take unlimited swings, he will “take off the reins” to help work on his timing.
“He’s doing great,” said Mets Manager Mickey Callaway. “He’s on a really good course right now.”
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has said the team is targeting a May 1 return for Conforto. While it is important to not rush it, Conforto is making great progress.
“On a really good course right now,” Callaway said. “We just want to be smart and not really have a date. That was kind of said, but we’re just going to be smart. He’s just going out there every day and doing his job at this point in time. He’s in a really good spot, I can say that for sure.”
Conforto last took 50 swings last week. He is working his way back from a dislocated shoulder and surgery to repair a torn posterior capsule in his shoulder he sustained back in August.