Craig Carton Resigns from WFAN, Hopes to Clear Name

Photo by Kevin Coughlin

Craig Carton, WFAN radio personality, has resigned from his position on September 13 following his arrest last Wednesday to focus on clearing his name.

Carton, who was arrested due to his role in a multi-million-dollar discount-ticket Ponzi scheme, worked alongside ex-New York Jets quarterback Boomer Esiason on Boomer and Carton since September of 2007.

“For 10 years I’ve had the great privilege of showing up to work every day at my dream job,” Carton said in a resignation statement that was posted on his personal Twitter account. “Unfortunately, the unfounded legal issues currently plaguing me will only be a distraction to everyone at WFAN and the show I helped build.”

A lifelong Mets fan, Carton has been one to express his displeasure with the Mets’ performance, especially in recent seasons.

According to the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Ponzi scheme started in the middle of 2016, where Carton accumulated millions of dollars.

Carton, along with co-defendant Michael Wright, “deceived investors and raised millions of dollars through misinterpretation and outright lies,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Joon Kim said.

Both Carton and Wright were charged with conspiracy and securities and wire fraud, which could lead to up to 45 years in prison.

“I’m taken aback and surprised by it just like I’m sure everyone else is,” Esiason said of Carton’s arrest last week.

WFAN accepted Carton’s resignation and a statement released by CBS Radio said, “We appreciate all of his contributions over the last decade and wish him and his family well during this next phase.”

“From the bottom of my heart, I’d like to thank my family, friends, listeners and especially the executives at WFAN and CBS Radio for their continued understanding and for giving me the most amazing platform to do what I love to do the most, besides being with my family,” Carton said in his resignation statement.

With Carton resigning, WFAN hopes that afternoon radio host Mike Francesa, who was set to retire this year, will stay with the station. Losing Carton, who drew a lot of listeners on their morning commute, and Francesa, who enjoys stirring the pot with his callers, would be a big blow for WFAN.

Carton is expected to be back in court on Oct. 6 after being released on $500,000 bond on Wednesday.