According to Adam Rubin on ESPN, Jeurys Familia’s court date was again pushed back, this time to Monday November 14th.
Last Report – Nov 2
The first hearing was originally going to be this Thursday, however it is now scheduled for November 10th.
This is the first news that has anything to do with his attorneys, as they have yet to issue a statement pertaining to the situation.
Additionally, several sources are now confirming that the unnamed victim was indeed his wife Bianca.
Original Report – Nov 1
In a report by Andrew Wyrich and Abbott Koloff of the Bergen County Record, Mets closer Jeurys Familia has been charged with simple assault and a disorderly persons offense stemming from an alleged domestic violence altercation between Familia and an unnamed victim.
Fort Lee Police Chief Keith Bendul declined to give specifics of the incident instead only stating the police responded to a call at a Fort Lee apartment building at 2:22 A.M. regarding a dispute. This was the same apartment building where Familia currently resides with his wife Bianca and one year old son.
The unnamed victim in the complaint was said to have a scratch to the chest and a bruise to the right cheek. While there were no details on the altercation itself, responding officer Tony Pickens, Jr. swore under oath he believed there was probable cause that an act of domestic violence occurred.
“The matter was brought to our attention and we are monitoring the situation,” the Mets said in a statement to The Record on Tuesday.
The statute charged Familia with a misdemeanor and not a felony. Should Familia be convicted, he would be subject to fines, up to six months in jail, and/or one year of probation. And then of course MLB would conduct their own investigation as well.
Last month, Familia had appeared in a Public Service Announcement to condemn domestic violence. They issued the following statement:
“I am deeply disturbed by the allegations against Jeurys Familia and call on MLB to launch an immediate and thorough investigation. We created #NotAFan so fans can communicate that domestic violence is absolutely unacceptable and to give a voice to fans who didn’t have one before. I will be reaching out to the Mets and the Familia ads will be removed from the campaign. Last week it was Josh Brown this week it’s Familia. The problem is rampant. The solution is to confront it.”
Jeurys Familia is denying the report and told Dominican reporter Hector Gomez: “Somebody is trying to damage my reputation with this info. I’m at peace with my family.”
This is a breaking story. Please check back for more details.