Mets Do Not Plan To Promote Michael Conforto Before September 1

michael conforto

Michael Conforto has been raking in Triple-A lately, but the New York Mets do not plan to call up the outfielder before rosters expand on September 1st.

“I’d say probably not,” Mets GM Sandy Alderson told ESPN New York when asked whether Conforto would return to the big leagues in August.

Conforto got off to a red-hot start to the year in April, but fell into a massive slump that led the Mets to demote him to the minors. He hit well and was called back up before too long, but after continuing to struggle against big-league pitching and receive limited playing time for a team trying to stay afloat in a playoff race, Conforto was sent back down last week.

Conforto is hitting an absurd .684 since his second demotion, a mark which he would obviously never approach at the Major-League level, but one Alderson still views as legitimate despite the inflated hitting statistics often seen in the Pacific Coast League.

“To use [Brandon] Nimmo as an example, well, it’s the Coast League, but he’s leading the league in hitting. Adjust all of those guys for the Pacific Coast League, he’s still the best,” Alderson said. “And Conforto, the way he’s hitting, is very similarly successful. I’m happy he’s doing it, and I’m looking forward to seeing him back here.”

get metsmerized footer

About Tommy Rothman 181 Articles
Tommy Rothman is a 21 year-old sportswriter who is the owner and founder of the popular Knicks News & Comedy Blog: "New York Knicks Memes." Tommy has also been an avid Mets fan since the age of 5 and joined MetsMerized in the summer of 2013. Tommy is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania and a sports editor for the student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. You can follow Tommy on Twitter @KnicksMemes