Update: Flores left the game in the 8th inning last night after being hit on the ankle with a pitch. He is out of the lineup tonight and is considered day-to-day.
Mets infielder Wilmer Flores made his winter ball debut last night for the Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan Winter League. He played second base and batted third in the lineup going 1 for 4 with a hit by pitch and scored a run. Flores hit .322/.365/.556 with five homeruns and 18 RBI last winter for the Bravos in 24 games. He has been playing for Bravos since 2010.
The 24-yeard old Flores is coming off a season in which he saw his batting average, on-base, and slugging percentage increase for the second straight year with the Mets. His .703 OPS was actually the 7th best in Major League Baseball among qualified shortstops and his defense looked better in the postseason.
Here are the statistics for the rest of the Mets affiliated players that are playing in winter ball:
Puerto Rican League
- T.J. Rivera: 7 for 22 (.318/.318/.364), double, three RBI, and two runs scored for Indios de Mayaguez.
- Arnaldo Berrios: 1 for 5, four walks, two runs, and stolen base in nine games for Criollos de Caguas.
- Johnny Monell: .389/.468/.593 with three doubles, triple, two homeruns, seven RBI, two stolen bases, and 11 runs scored in 54 at bats for the Criollos de Caguas.
- Joel Huertas: 0-3 with 6.23 ERA, 1.96 WHIP, seven walks, 12 strikeouts in 8.2 innings (6 games) for Cangrejeros de Santurce.
- Sixto Torres: Two runs allowed on four hits while striking out two in his only inning of work for Gigantes de Carolina.
- Xorge Carrillo: .284/.342/.402 with six doubles, two homeruns, 14 RBI, and 18 runs in 102 at bats for Aguilas de Mexicali.
- Octavio Acosta: 1-0 with 0.71 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, three walks, and seven strikeouts in 12.2 inninings (5 games) for the Charros de Jalisco.
- Jose Carlos Medina: 0-1 with 19.64 ERA, 2.18 WHIP, walk and two strikeouts in 3.2 innings (4 games) and one start for Tomateros de Culiacan.
- Travis Taijeron: .234/.339/.424 with three doubles, two homeruns, six RBI, and six runs scored with a 8/17 (BB/SO) in 15 games for the Caribes de Anzoategui.
- Wuilmer Becerra: Made his debut on 11/22 going 1 for 4 while playing right field for Tigres de Aragua.
- Adrian Almeida: 32.40 ERA, 5.40 WHIP in four games. Allowed six runs on three hits and six walks while striking out two in 1.2 innings for Bravos de Margarita.
- Jose Celas: Has not given up a run in 1.2 innings but has allowed five hits and two walks while striking out two for Leones del Caracas.
- Zack Thornton: 4.02 ERA, 1.28 WHIP in 17 games. Allowed seven runs on 12 hits, eight walks and struck out nine batters in 15.2 innings for the Navegantes del Magallanes.
- Dario Alvarez: 1-0 with 5.40 ERA, 1.80 ERA, seven walks, eight strikeouts in 8.1 innings (13 games). Has split the season between Toros del Este and Aguilas Cibaenas.
- Rainy Lara: 1-0 with 1.59 ERA, 0.88 WHIP in three games. Allowed one run on four hits and a walk while striking out two in 5.2 innings for Leones del Escogido.
- Luis Mateo: Has allowed two runs on two hits (HR) with two strikeouts in two innings of work for the Leones del Escogido.
- Jenrry Mejia: Made six starts for Tigres del Licey going 1-2 with a 4.03 ERA and 1.45 WHIP in 29 innings. He has given up 13 earned runs on 34 hits and eight walks while striking out 17.
- John Mora: Pinch ran in his only appearance for the Aguilas Cibaenas, has been playing in the parallel league where they don’t release stats for.
- Yeixon Ruiz – Has just one at bat so far for the Estrellas de Oriente and did not reach base. He went 1 for 9 with a triple and RBI for the Dominican Republic in the Premier 12 tournament.
Juan Lagares was added to the weekly 40-man roster on Monday for the Aguilas Cibaenas of the Dominican League but has yet to make an appearance.
For more Mets winter league coverage and minor league info head over to MetsMinors.net.