Kevin Burkhardt: Ike Davis Heading To NY For More Tests

Ike Davis #29 of the New York Mets heads back to his position at first base after an injury in the fourth inning on a play against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field on May 10, 2011 in Denver, Colorado. Davis did not return to the game in the next inning. (credit: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images)

According to SNY’s Kevin Burkhardt via Twitter, Ike Davis is flying to New York where he will meet with more team doctors.

Not sure if he already had the MRI that the team discussed last night as there is no other offical word.

Obviously, there are some concerns and I always brace myself when things like this start to unfold.

Hopefully, this simply a precaution and nothing else, but as a Met fan, don’t blame me for being a little worried right about now.

Original Post 8:00 AM

After last night’s game, Ike Davis, who came out the game with a leg injury, told reporters that he thinks there’s a chance he could play in the series finale tomorrow afternoon against the Rockies.

“I know he’s hurting,” Terry Collins said. “When he came out, he was hurting bad.”

The Daily News said Davis, who wore a protective boot after the game, hoped to play this afternoon, but also might need an MRI. He initially thought he had injured his ankle or Achilles. Davis remained in pain, making a fast return seem unlikely.

“We didn’t hear each other call it,” Davis said of the confusion between himself and Wright. “We didn’t really collide that hard; I just kind of rolled my ankle or something.”

“I’m hoping I play tomorrow, to tell you the truth,” Davis said. “I’ll take some anti-inflammatories and hope the swelling goes down a little bit, and wrap it up and play.”

Davis left Tuesday’s game after colliding with David Wright on an infield pop fly. With the Mets leading, 4-2, Wright appeared to back into Davis as the two pursued Troy Tulowitzki’s popup in front of the mound with one out in the fourth.

Following the collision, Davis lay on the ground for several moments and met with trainer Ray Ramirez, but Davis eventually walked back to his position at first base.

Yet, after limping back to the dugout following the inning, Davis did not return to the field for the fifth. Daniel Murphy slid over to man first base, with Justin Turner entering the game at second.

About Joe D 7966 Articles
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73, '00 and '15, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.