From the GM Meetings in Orlando Monday afternoon, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson delivered several important nuggets in his plan for this offseason.
Head trainer Ray Ramirez was relieved of his duties at the conclusion of the season. Alderson said he plans to fill the position soon as well as adding two new positions to the medical/training staff, including a so-called high performance point person focused on training, recovery and health data, according to James Wagner of the New York Times.
Alderson reiterated the importance of a strong bullpen and said it will be one of the team’s primary focuses this winter.
“Any way you cut it, the bullpen is becoming more important,” Alderson said according to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.
Alderson also said that they are backing away from a starting pitcher “somewhat,” according to Mike Puma of the New York Post. Marc Carig of Newsday added that the plan for now will be “fixing the starting pitching they have now, whether through better conditioning or more efficient usage.” This again goes back to the news from last week that the team will monitor their starters after the second time through the order.
The Mets were carrying eight relievers down the stretch for most of 2017 and that seems as though it will be the plan once again.
Carig adds that the Mets could consider bringing in a reliever on a multi-year pact. Some of the names he mentioned are Bryan Shaw, Brandon Morrow, Addison Reed and Mike Minor. This would be very out of the ordinary for the Mets, who in recent years have not doled out big contracts to relief pitchers.
The Mets have been rumored to be looking for a second or third baseman to add this winter and Alderson confirmed the former this afternoon.
However, it seems as though the latter route is the most probable, according to Carig on Twitter.
The Mets traded away over 100 potential home runs at the deadline, so a need for a power hitter is going to be something they explore this winter. Alderson mentioning the Mets need to add a power bat makes sense.
Alderson reiterated that Dominic Smith isn’t a lock at first base going into next season. This confirms the suspicions that the Mets could be looking for an external first baseman or someone who could slot into that position in a platoon.
“He didn’t win it in September, let’s put it that way,” Alderson said.
“Dominic’s going to have to be careful about his conditioning, certainly in the next few years if not throughout his career,” Alderson added.
Juan Lagares figures to be a big factor in the Mets plans in center field, Carig said. His glove will be the main factor in the decision as well as the Mets limited resources.
Alderson said “I’m not predicting where it will end up,” when referring to next season’s payroll. He added that it won’t be $155 million again.
This post is being updated, please keep refreshing.