Free agent to be Neil Walker said that concerns over his health being made public are “disappointing,” Friday in Philadelphia.
“Whether information was leaked or whatever the case may be, I don’t know where things went wrong,” Walker said. “I’m here, I’m happy to be a Met right now. But to hear that I’m not healthy enough to be traded, but I’m healthy enough to be in the lineup every day is a bit confusing. I don’t know where things got lost.”
Walker, 32 next month, returned to the Mets on July 28, a month and a half after he suffered a hamstring injury and has been in the everyday lineup since.
As noted in the previous iteration of this post, the Yankees reportedly nixed a deal for Walker minutes before the deadline due to their concerns over his health records.
“That’s the piece of it that’s not really fair to the player,” said Walker, who is approaching free agency.
The second baseman has cleared waivers and is free to be traded to any club prior to the Aug. 31 waiver deadline, but the recent feud between the Mets and Yankees may have damaged his value.
Original report – Aug. 11, 7:50 a.m.
Turns out they had more than just interest, according to multiple reports the Mets and Yankees had agreed upon a deal on July 31 before the Bronx Bombers backed out late because of medicals.
Coming into last night it had been a struggle for Walker since coming off the disabled list but he broke out with four hits. He also made his second straight start at third base and made a couple of nice plays.