According to Bob Klapisch of The Record, The Mets have been reluctant to call up Rosario due to possible turmoil in the Mets clubhouse with Asdrubal Cabrera’s discontent with playing second base.
After asking for a trade last month, Cabrera retreated from that notion and now wants to be retained by the team next year, but the “unsettled clubhouse” may still have an effect on the team and Rosario, if he were to be called up.
Klapisch adds that Rosario is close to being called up, but what happens in the coming weeks will determine what happens with the infielder.
Original report – Saturday, 8:00 a.m.
On three different occasions – MLB Network, Futures Game, and Triple-A All Star Game – baseball’s number one shortstop prospect Amed Rosario has emphatically proclaimed himself ready for the major leagues. And most observers all agree.
However on Friday, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson affirmed his belief that Rosario and Dominic Smith are currently better suited for more time at Triple-A Las Vegas.
“We have Rosario and Smith, both in Las Vegas, both doing well,” Alderson said at Citi Field, before the Mets opened the second half of the season. ”
“As I’ve said here before, a promotion is a function of how well those promoted players are doing themselves, and part of it has to do with the situation that exists at the major league level.”
“So, when we think that those two conditions are merging, or mutually beneficial, that’s when he’ll come up,” he continued.
Not long after Sandy laid out his current plan for plan for the young phenom, Rosario took to Twitter to reaffirm that he is ready for the big leagues, saying:
On my knees and I just want to propose to Queens — NY that is. AR = Amed is Ready.