Minor league Opening Day was Thursday night, and some of the top Mets prospects were in action. However, perhaps the biggest highlight of them all came off the bat of Tim Tebow in South Carolina with the Columbia Fireflies.
El Paso Chihuahuas 8, Las Vegas 51s 1 Box Score
Las Vegas didn’t get much going at the plate against the Chihuahuas despite picking up 10 hits. Top prospect Amed Rosario picked up two singles and stole a base. Matt Reynolds went 0 for 4 with four strikeouts while playing left field. Gavin Cecchini led off and played second, going 0 for 4 with a walk. Josh Rodriguez and Xorge Carrillo each had pinch hit singles.
- LHP Adam Wilk (0-1, 6.75 ERA) 4.0 IP, 4 R, 3 ER, 4 H, 4 SO
- RHP Logan Taylor (0-0, 9.00 ERA) 2.0 IP, 2 R, 2 ER, K
- RHP Paul Sewald (0-0, 0.00 ERA) 1.0 IP, BB, 3 K
Binghamton Rumble Ponies vs New Hampshire Fisher Cats (PPD)
The Rumble Ponies opening game was postponed due to inclement weather in New Hampshire. The game will be made up as a doubleheader on May 5.
Palm Beach Cardinals 3, St. Lucie Mets 1 Box Score
- Patrick Mazeika C: 2 for 3, HR
- Enmanuel Zabala RF 2 for 3
- Wuilmer Becerra DH: 1 for 3
- Peter Alonso 1B: 0 for 4, K, Error
Mazeika’s home run was the lone extra base hit for the Mets on Opening Day. Shortstop Colby Woodmansee struggled at the plate going 0 for 4 with two strikeouts.
- RHP Andrew Church (0-1, 1.59 ERA) 5.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (ER), 0 BB, 4 K
- RHP Justin Brantley 2.0 IP, H, 0 R, 2 BB, K
Andrew Church got the Opening Day start and lasted 5.2 innings. He allowed two runs, one earned, on three hits and struck out four. Justin Brantley (cousin of Michael Brantley) was making his Mets system debut.
Columbia Fireflies 14, Augusta GreenJackets 7 Box Score
- Blake Tiberi 3B: 2 for 3, 3 R, 2B, 2 BB, RBI
- Michael Paez SS: 2 for 4, 2B, HR, 2 RBI, BB
- Tim Tebow LF: 1 for 5, HR, 2 RBI, 3 K
- Dash Winningham 1B: 3 for 5, HR, 4 RBI
- Ali Sanchez C: 3 for 4, 3 R, BB
- Desmond Lindsay CF: 0 for 3, RBI, BB, R, SB
In his first at-bat of the Single-A season, Tebow hit a two-run opposite field home run off a lefty (albeit with 20 MPH winds blowing out to left). Leadoff hitter and right fielder Gene Cone walked four times. Milton Ramos went 0 for 5 with two strikeouts as the designated hitter.
- RHP Harol Gonzalez (12.27 ERA) 3.2 IP, 5 ER, 6 H, 3 K
- RHP Matt Blackham (1-0, 0.00 ERA) 2.0 IP, H, 0 R, 3 K
- RHP Max Kuhns (1 HLD, 7.71 ERA) 2.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 4 K
- RHP Cameron Griffin 1.0 IP, H, 0 ER, 2 K
Gonzalez got the start and had three scoreless innings before things came crashing down in the fourth. His fastball was up and had a tough time throwing his breaking pitches for strikes. Both Blackham and Griffin were pitching for the first time since 2015 after missing last season with arm injuries.