New York Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo suffered a setback on Friday, after aggravating his hamstring injury while participating in running drills. Last Wednesday, team doctors examined Nimmo and determined that the hamstring injury was not as bad as initially diagnosed.
Nimmo strained his hamstring last weekend while chasing down a triple in the World Baseball Classic for Team Italy. Team manager Marco Mazzieri, told reporters it was believed to be a Grade 1 strain, which would likely sideline Nimmo for at least two weeks.
After testing out his hamstring on Wednesday by hitting and running, Nimmo felt fine and was cleared to resume playing in Grapefruit League games on Saturday. Additionally, it was believed that Nimmo would be ready for Opening Day. No word yet on when Nimmo will be playing in a game again.
Last week, Mets manager Terry Collins made it clear that if Nimmo was to earn that fifth outfielder spot he would need to start playing in Grapefruit League games. “I need to see him play, you can’t sit out for the next two weeks and make our team.”
Nimmo, 23, hit .274 with a .338 on-base percentage in 80 plate appearances with 12 runs scored. He was 6-for-12 as a pinch hitter.
Discussing the stiff competition in camp for that last outfield spot, Nimmo told reporters: “My goal is to be in the big leagues. I know we have a lot of guys in here and I understand it’s a numbers game and it’s out of my control, but I am doing all I can control to make the team.”