Michael Conforto Demoted To Triple-A Again

michael conforto

The New York Mets announced that they have optioned outfielder Michael Conforto to Triple-A Las Vegas and recalled right-handed reliever Seth Lugo.

According to manager Terry Collins, Conforto was continuing to struggle at the major league level and said that he would be better served playing everyday in Las Vegas.

“It’s very discouraging because he was a huge piece of what we did last year,” Collins said. “I mean this guy was a dynamic bat in our lineup. He was a dynamic bat the first two months. But again I think it’s all part of the growing process here that you have to make adjustments at this level because the game gets faster, your opposition gets better reports, they start to make better pitches.”

This is the second demotion for Conforto, of whom much was expected this season. Since returning from his first demotion on July 18, he was hitting .200 in 19 games.

Collins added that Conforto will continue to play some center field while in Vegas.

Original Report – Aug 6

Since returning from his minor-league stint, Michael Conforto has still scuffled at the plate. Even with now having the DH available to them and Yoenis Cespedes on the disabled list, Conforto still rode the bench in Friday night’s 4-3 loss to the Tigers.

Since his return to the majors, Conforto has hit just .216 (8-for-37). In that same time frame he has yet to homer and has just two RBI. He showed some signs of life in the third game of the subway series, knocking two doubles with what looked like a revival of his perfect swing. He though followed up that performance with an 0-for-4 night. His manager, Terry Collins believes he is pressing yet again.

“[Conforto’s] swing is still very good,” Collins said. “I still think he’s pressing a little bit. He’s really trying to make a contribution. I wouldn’t necessarily say he’s trying to hit home runs, but I think it’s certainly on his mind to do some damage when he’s up there.” (NY Post)

After a torrid April where he hit to .365/.442/.676 slash to go along with four homers and 18 RBI, he has struggled mightily. He has not hit above .208 in any other month this season. His overall numbers on the season provide a .221/.301/.415 slash with 10 homers and 32 RBI.

With Brandon Nimmo now up as well, Conforto will need to right himself in order to continue getting the playing time he needs. If the struggles continue, he could yet again find himself in Las Vegas when Cespedes returns, especially if Nimmo plays to the best of his abilities.

It has been a trying season for Conforto who by all means seemed as though he was a hitter who would not regress anytime soon after his 2015 campaign and the start to this season. This offense still depends on him. Conforto turning it around is very important to the success of this club.

get metsmerized footer

About Brian Greenzang 567 Articles

A Senior Writer for MMO, Brian was born the year that ball got by Buckner and the Mets went on to win the World Series. He is still waiting to watch the Mets win a World Series of his own. You can follow Brian on Twitter @briangreenzang