The Mets hosted the Minnesota Twins at Tradition Field and played to a 3-3 nine inning tie on Saturday at Port St. Lucie.
Dillon Gee started the game for the Mets and tossed three scoreless innings. Gee surrendered five hits while walking none and striking out three, and lowers his ERA to 1.69 for the Spring.
Despite the solid outing, Gee said he wasn’t as efficient as he would have liked.
“I want to go more innings than that, that’s not good to go three innings with 65 pitches,” Gee said. “It’s my work for the day right now and hopefully during the season I’ll get more work out of that. ”
“Didn’t give up any runs, that’s a key. Didn’t feel that great today, whatever it was five days ago that made me feel so good wasn’t really there today,” Gee said. “Keep working on it and made big pitches when I had to today in key situations with guys on base. That was good.”
- Vic Black continued his career long pattern of inconsistency, looking great one day and awful the next. He inherited a 3-0 lead and made it evaporate. In one inning pitched he allowed three earned runs on three hits, two walks and zero strikeouts.
- Matt den Dekker picked up another two hits today and scored a run. He is now batting .420 and continues to inch his way onto the Mets Opening Day roster.
- Jeurys Familia continues to pile on scoreless appearances and now has four innings pitched without a run or walk. He also threw a 100 mph fastball today. He has the best and most nastiest stuff in the Mets bullpen. Future stud right here…
- Chris Young went 2-for-3 and hit his first home run as a Met. He’s now lifted his average to .290 this spring.
- Daniel Murphy drive in one with a sac fly, and Josh Satin added a run with an RBI single.
- With half their team in Las Vegas, the Mets borrowed a slew of minor league players to complete the game including top prospects Dominic Smith, Dilson Herrera and Dustin Lawley. It was nice to see.
We’ll do this again on Sunday as the Mets play two more games, the first at 1:05 PM against the Cardinals in Jupiter, and the second at 4:05 PM against the Cubs in Las Vegas.