Chase Hughes of CSN Washington, did some digging around and discovered that since Mike Rizzo took over as the GM of the Washington Nationals, he’s orchestrated seven different trades with Billy Beane of the Oakland Athletics since 2010.
That’s a lot of dealing with one team and sometimes they end up trading the same players back and forth in separate deals. But I think that’s pretty cool…
Hughes goes on to analyze each deal, but I thought it would be interesting to see who you think were the winners and losers on these seven deals.
- Dec. 16, 2010 – OF Josh Willingham for RHP Henry Rodriguez and OF Corey Brown
- Dec. 23, 2011 – C Derek Norris, RHP A.J. Cole, RHP Brad Peacock, LHP Tom Milone for LHP Gio Gonzalez and RHP Robert Gilliam
- Aug. 3, 2012 – C David Freitas and cash for C Kurt Suzuki
- Jan. 16, 2013 – OF Michael Morse to Seattle, C John Jaso from Seattle to Oakland, RHP A.J. Cole, LHP Ian Krol (PTBNL), RHP Blake Treinen from Oakland to Washington (3 teams)
- Aug. 23, 2013 – C Kurt Suzuki for RHP Dakota Bacus
- Nov. 25, 2013 – LHP Fernando Abad for OF John Wooten
- Dec. 11, 2013 – OF Billy Burns for LHP Jerry Blevins
Holding off judgement on the two most recent trades, I would say Rizzo edged Beane 3-2… Rizzo did get toasted on the Willingham deal, but he clobbered Beane on Gio who has produced a 7.9 WAR in two seasons with the Nats…