Dan Martin of the New York Post spoke by phone to David Wright who told him that he’s ready to do his part in talking to free agents who might be interested in coming to Queens. It’s a tough sell, but Wright seems up for the challenge.
“I don’t think players are concerned about the financial situation,” Wright said by phone Saturday. “From their perspective, they want to know if we have a chance to win. We haven’t really given ourselves a chance the last few years.”
Apparently some prospective players have already talked to Wright.
“It seems like there’s been more action, even just in the last week,” Wright said. “I’ve talked to a few players, but I expect I’ll do more of it as we have a better idea of who we’re going after. Players have called me. Sandy’s probably tired of hearing from me, but I told him he can lean on me to do whatever he needs.”
Like many Met fans, free agents want to hear all about this plan.
“Some players question what the plan is and say, ‘Why should I come to the New York Mets?’ ” Wright said. “Our track record isn’t exactly great lately.”
“We have a lot of holes that need to be filled and it’s going to be tough to fill them all in one offseason,” Wright said. “You can’t just go out and sign everybody. So the burden is going to fall on the guys we have here. Boston showed last year you don’t need to sign top-tiered guys to win.”
“We need to start making an impact and show we’re a contender,” Wright said. “That would be better than anything I could tell them.”
The ball’s in your court, Sandy…