Dodgers Decline Option On Capuano, Mets Could Be Interested
The steady-fielding Ellis became expendable when the Dodgers signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero to a four-year, $28-million contract. Guerrero is expected to replace Ellis at second base.
Ellis, 36 and a Gold Glove finalist, batted .270/.323/.343 last season with six home runs and 48 RBIs. His option was worth $5.75 million and he earned $5.25 in 2013.
Capuano, who could capture Sandy Alderson’s attention, had a lackluster season in 2013 after a solid campaign the year before. The 35-year old appeared in 24 games for the Dodgers that included 20 starts. He was 4-7 with a 4.26 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in an injury plagued season.
Capuano landed on the disabled list with a calf strain at the start of the 2013 season. He would later land on the DL again with a shoulder strain and then a third time in September when he strained his groin.
Capuano was eventually squeezed out by a surplus of starting pitching and it was no surprise that the Dodgers declined his $8 million option for 2014 and pay the $1 million buyout instead.
The lefthander could fill one of the spots in the backend of the Mets rotation, and given the history between him and the Mets, it’s likely that Sandy will kick the tires on him.
About the Author: Joe DeCaro
I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.
17 Comments + Add Comment
- Alwayzamazin: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: fighting over Ike Davis, no doubt
- mikeb: on MMO Mailbag: Any Chance That Murphy Moves To First Base?: I think it's a good idea, and...
- tlagee: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Hey John, "With two wild card slots, .500...
- John Q: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: The big thing you're forgetting is that...
- BadBadLeroyBrown: on Colon Signing Could Elevate Mets To Wild Card Contender Status: Nice Cops running around the @WinterMeetings as...
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!