Alderson Says Losing Draft Pick Won’t Stop Mets From Signing Any Free Agents

An article by posted on November 4, 2013

sandy alderson

Sandy Alderson told Mike Puma of the New York Post that forfeiting their second round pick will not keep them from signing a free agent who was extended a qualifying offer. Earlier this evening, Puma reported that the Mets front office deliberated over the draft pick compensation issue.

The deadline for teams to extend qualifying offers came and went on Monday and the following 13 free agents will require draft pick compensation should they reject their Q.O. and opt for free agency.

Each of these players received a one-year offer worth $14.1 million and they now have one week to decide whether they wish to accept or reject the offer.

Any team who signs a free agent who refused a qualifying offer have to forfeit a draft pick. The Mets are one of eleven teams whose first round pick is protected, the others being the Astros, Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Mariners, Phillies, Rockies and Blue Jays.

Those teams will all forfeit a second round pick should they sign one of the 13 listed players, while the rest of teams will forfeit their first round pick.

I think there’s a good chance that Beltran, Drew, Granderson, Jimenez and Morales accept their qualifying offers.

(Updated at 11:00 PM)

About the Author ()

I'm a lifelong Mets fan who loves writing and talking about the Amazins' 24/7. From the Miracle in 1969 to the magic of 1986, and even the near misses in '73 and '00, I've experienced it all - the highs and the lows. I started Mets Merized Online in 2005 to feed my addiction and interact with other passionate Met fans like you. Follow me on Twitter @metsmerized.

Comments are closed.