This Day In Mets Infamy With Rusty: What Does Future Hold For Frank-Frank Edition
This past week it was revealed that the one time Mets closer, Frank Francisco, or as I like to call him, “The Human Sloth”, resurfaced in a pair of games for the GCL Mets. To date, he has given up two runs in four games while striking out six. He is rehabbing from what supposed to be minor surgery to clean out debris from his throwing elbow. In addition to the fact that he has yet to earn one dime from the $6.5 million dollars owed to him for this season, part of that disastrous two-year, $12 million dollar deal he was signed to, even more troubling news surfaced last month. Francisco advised young pitcher Jenrry Mejia, who was rehabbing with him in Port St. Lucie, to sit back and just collect his MLB disabled list money rather than trying to get himself healthy enough to rejoin the big league team.
Well the good news is that the Mets will finally be rid of Frank Frank’s contract as well as his bad attitude once this season is over, and I seriously doubt he will be able to find his way onto another big league roster next season. So what would be the next step for Francisco as far as new career options?
Here are a few occupations that I think will fit him like a glove…
1. Professional Wrestler: Well, he does know his way around a folding chair.
2. D.M.V Employee: He does have the perfect attitude and mental toughness to drive people insane.
3. Self Help Guru: Because he knows how to get you paid while doing the bare minimum.
4. Drummer for Bachman-Turner Overdrive: Because “he loves to work at nothing all day.”
And lastly…. Armando Benitez look-alike: Because we all know Benitez still gets death threats from disgruntled Mets fans!!!
And with that said….. HERE COMES THE INFAMY !!!!!!
- Mets coach from the 1993 season (The Torborg Era) Darrell Johnson would have been 85 (1928) today.
- One of the most memorable characters from the embryonic years of the Mets franchise back up catcher, Clarence “Choo Choo” Coleman (1937)
- Reserve outfielder from the ’66 season, Shaun Fitzmaurice is 71 (1942).
- Reserve outfielder and notable steroid cheat, Gary Matthews Jr. is 39 (1974).
- Current Mets middle reliever, “Perpetual” Pedro Feliciano is 37 (1976).
Some other notables….
- The New York Mets signed free agent back up first baseman, Brian Buchanan on August 25, 2004.
- The New York Mets traded their closer, Billy Wagner to the Boston Red Sox for reserve outfielder, Chris Carter, and minor leaguer, Eddie Lora on August 25, 2009. This move was essentially a salary dump. The Mets for some reason that I – nor anyone else seems to know – traded one of the premier closers in the game (granted he was coming back from a shoulder injury) for a bag of donuts… Literally… They could have just waited out the remaining month of the season and let Wags, who was a Type A free agent, sign with another team and earn themselves a first round pick as well as a comp pick. But hey… that was the Minaya era for you .
Mo Vaughn is easy like a Sunday morning !!!!!
About the Author: Ed Marcus
Proud lifelong Met fan who has a passing resemblance to Rusty Staub and is a purveyor of Mo Vaughn jokes as well as the writer of "This Day In Mets Infamy". You can follow me on Twitter at @lagranderusty.
13 Comments + Add Comment
- Jeru: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: Ironically Jessep cant handle the truth... As soon...
- Jeru: on Examining Sandy’s Off-Season Signings… So Far: So the fact that every person you...
- Jeru: on It Would Be A Mistake If Lagares Is The Odd Man Out: outperform when? in spring training? over the course of...
- Kabeetz: on It Would Be A Mistake If Lagares Is The Odd Man Out: If Legares can't outperform a .200 journeyman...
- Mets Fan in NC: on Bobby Parnell To Be Re-Examined Next Week: Terry hasn't called to check in..WOW
2014 Opening Day
Write For Metsmerized Online
Mets Merized Online is reloading and looking for new writers to help cover the Hot Stove Season. We're also looking for passionate writers who would like to contribute new and original features.
Contact us now at GetMetsmerized@aol.com for more info and join the #1 Mets Fansite on the web!
Check Out These Great MLB Links!
Mets Autograph Signings
Mets Fan Apparel
Mets Autographed Baseballs
Baseball Card Supplies
For the best seats and lowest MLB ticket prices, go to PurchaseSeats.com. Get your Mets Tickets now and follow them on the road with Yankees Tickets, Phillies Tickets, Nationals Tickets and Braves Tickets!